Monday, June 27, 2011

My Ridiculous Romantic Obsessions by Becca Wilhite

I saw this book at the LDStorymaker's conference last month...and my jaw dropped when I saw the cover. It was Kenzie! My beautiful, curly-red haired, step-daughter, who I also like to call my bff (best friend forever...not big fat friend:). Of course, Kenzie is only 12 in the picture below, and the girl on the cover of the book is supposed to be in college, but the resemblance is uncanny. My sister took this picture of Kenzie last year when we were trying to have family photos and she was apparently exhausted and couldn't take it anymore. Poor Beautiful Kenz.
So I bought this book for Kenzie for one of her 8th grade graduation presents. I read it first of course to make sure it wasn't one of those smutty grocery store romances:0. It wasn't. Which is about right since it is written by an LDS author and published by Shadow Mountain, an imprint of Deseret Book (an LDS publisher). By the way, the author Becca Wilhite is totally cute and has a great blog at: http://www.beccawilhite.com/blog/. So here's what I learned from this book:

I learned once again that great cover art sells books. If it wasn't for the awesome picture of Kenzie the front of this book, I would not have bought it.

I learned that I am a romance-aholic. This book sort of references a ton of other popular romance novels, and I was pleasantly surprised when I "got" all those references. I am such a girl like that. Who doesn't love the sound of "Mr. Darcy" rolling off your tongue?

I learned that I don't really want to go back to the college days. Sometimes I look fondly back on my single days at San Diego State and wish I was there again. Hanging out at the beach more than my classes was awesome. Especially when my kids are having screaming matches and tearing the house to shreds. BUT, the pains of "finding yourself" and dating and doubting yourself all the time, was hard. Now, I have found my Mr. Darcy (but I call him Mr. Humphries) and have the kids I always dreamed of, and I am happy where I am.

I learned that voice is everything. What do I mean by that? Well, in this instance, I mean that Ms. Wilhite did a good job of creating a first person voice that I connected with. The protag is self-depreciating but clever, sweet but sassy, short-sighted by smart, and beautiful but she doesnt know it. I like her.

I learned that romances don't have to be dirty to be fun to read. They don't even have to hint at smuttyness to be great. Last year I went to a Romance Writer's of America conference and I was shocked at the smutty-factor. Hat's off to Becca Wilhite for writing a book that I would gladly give to my sweet beautiful Kenzie-Coo.

11 comments:

  1. First off, I can't believe the similarities between those pics - amazing!
    Secondly, I'm glad to know about the book, and can't wait to check it out. I'm a huge fan of smut-less romance!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nuts... I thought the top picture was Kenzie at first!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, totally with you on the romantic obsessions, especially ones involving Mr Darcy. He is quite swoonworthy! ;-)

    Also, that is a fab book cover, what pretty girl! And very similar to your Kenzie. I've not been to a RWA conference before but I'm hoping to join the equivalent in the UK next year. That would be exciting!

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...wow! Thought for a moment it was the same person. You should send the pic to the writer. I'm betting a response would surely be forthcoming:)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  5. All because I was pretending to be a photographer! Kenz, you are so beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a ridiculously fabulous cover! And your step-daughter / bff is ridiculously beautiful! You totally sold me on that book. Even though I am, admittedly, NOT a romance-aholic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessie - that is excellent. Your Kenzie is a beauty. And thank you, thank you for the kind words.

    (I'll be back...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we also hate the smutty factor in modern books! Down with trashy, up with refined and charming :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, Jessie. I like the new format of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, the resemblance is incredible! And looks like a cute book too :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete