Wednesday, June 29, 2011

NieNie Dialogues





Today I would like to highlight one of my favorite blogs. I know that Stephanie Nielson (NieNie) doesn't actually need any more followers to her blog, but I believe everyone should follow her life story. It is THAT inspirational.

Even if you haven't been following her blog, most of you have probably heard of her or seen her on Oprah or Fox News or something similar. She and her husband (Mr. Nielson--as she calls him) were involved in a near-fatal plane accident where 80% of her body was burned. She has not only survived, but thrived through her trauma. She has a beautiful family, and a blessed life. And here is what I have learned from her blog:

I learned that bad things happen--awful, heart-wrenching, terrible things. And they don't just happen to big ol' B-words that deserve it like me. But they happen to good people. And it is how we endure that determines our happiness. NieNie is a great example of how to endure with grace, courage, and faith.

I learned that out of bad things, blessings often flow. NieNie has made a difference in many lives and I am only one of a vast amount of people who send my gratitude to her. I am convinced that no amount of darkness or pain could prevent her light from shining.

I learned that blogging isn't so bad after all. I once joked with my sister that I didn't believe in "blogging"--it was just a pretense for "bragging." You know what I am talking about! Yes, that girl you know who uses a blog to show off every "super-awesome amazing" thing their kid just did. (C'mon...you are thinking of a few right now!). But I know (now) that blogs can uplift, educate, connect, inspire! And that is my goal.

I learned to be grateful for what I have. Life is short. I must cherish it with the ones I love.

Have you read her blog? What did you learn?

5 comments:

  1. I've seen them on both Oprah and Fox. What an inspirational story. It would be easy for someone like me: Multiple Sclerosis, multiple other health problems, a teenager with Asbergers (always interesting), living with and taking care of my dying father and mother. I decided many years ago (before any of this) that I would not be the kind of person to sit around and dwell on things I can't control. People like the Nielsons help push that determination along. Thanks for this post, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read her blog before, but I will now! Thanks for that. Your post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she sounds like some very special lady! And a brave one and we need role models in this crazy world of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. It was beautiful and I am very touched.

    kisses,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed with NieNie's courage. And I love to hear about her progress. I support her and admire her. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete