Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Elana Johnson's Fabulous Blog

Elana's Blog



So I met Elana Johnson over a year ago at the 2010 LDStorymaker's Conference. And I started following her blog back then, but after I took one of her querying classes at the 2011 LDStorymaker's Conference, I started really following her blog. And I don't mean I finally clicked on the icon that says "Follow"...I mean I started to read every post and every link and every bit of advice she has to offer. Which is a lot. Many of you probably already know this because she has a gaggle of followers. I can't say enough about her blog, but here's the most important things I learned:

I learned that it pays to be honest. Elana doesn't hold anything back. She is brave. She doesn't hide how many rejections she received in the querying process. Doesn't mince words about how hard it is to be published or how long it really took. And she certainly doesn't sugar coat the emotional roller coaster it is to be an author.  She tells you straight, and she tells you true. And in abundance. Her site is a wealth of knowledge for any aspiring or already published writer.

I learned it pays to be generous. She is always promoting other authors and talking positively about them. When I attended her querying class we were supposed to send in our query beforehand for her to critique.  For some reason mine didn't come through the email waves and so she didn't have it to critique. She actually followed up with me after the conference to make sure that she provided my critique. That is really thoughtful. And amazing considering her book POSSESSION was about to be released only a few weeks later and she was undoubtedly uber busy. Thanks for that Elana.

I learned that social networking is really important. I failed to take her social media class at the LDStorymaker's conference, but that doesn't mean I didn't steal notes from others who did. It is not only important, it is crucial in some cases to 1) get an agent 2) get a publisher and 3) get books sold. Elana has put on a clinic of how to do it.

I learned about many books that I want to read, now have read, and appreciate, including POSSESSION (Elana's book). I will have a separate post on the book (maybe next week) but let's just say it was fascinating.

Lastly, I learned that Elana loves bacon! Say what? It's true. And although I can't get down with that personally, I think it's awesome she is so quirky. Who am I to judge? I think I might need to go see a hypnotist to get off my Diet Cokey!

12 comments:

  1. I love Elana. She is an incredible person! I owe a lot to her, too.

    I was just talking a couple of days ago with a writer about being brave. Not holding back. That's so hard! I hold back all the time-- it's something I really need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really admire Elana as well. I follow (like you, really follow) her blog, I've heard her speak a few times, and went to a workshop that she taught at LTUE. She's really sweet and genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in that workshop at LTUE too Jenna! Me, Peggy, Erin and Taffy. It WAS a great workshop and all the examples she used about How To Train Your Dragon really stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Elana last year, she's as cool as her hair (that's a compliment). :) I have yet to read Possession but it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know Elana personally, and I think that we are not following each other's blogs, but I do know that she is quite beloved around the blogosphere and fellow writers like her a lot! She must be a nice person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jessie! Elana is a good example of everything you said plus she's down-to-earth, kind and funny. Being brave is a quality I admire in her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thank you! This is the nicest post ever. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessie - Great post, girl. Elana is awesome! I'm with you on what an amazing, giving person she is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been following Elana's blog for a long time now. She has worked so hard to be where she is now. We can all learn a lot from her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your comment today! I'm excited to read/stalk your blog, and I'm especially looking forward to your book reviews.

    Have a great weekend.

    ~Jenifer
    Gordon Gossip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rashelle-I love your sexy icon photo!
    Lynda- your blog is pretty amazing as well.
    J+S-I'm excited to stalk you too (in a good way)!
    Thanks everyone for posting such positive nice things about Elana. It's great to support one another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Jessie,

    Your post about Elana Johnson is informative and inspiring--beautifully so, to use a "B" word. :) I've just visited her blog and read her advice for building a better one. How could I not be a new follower with a wonderful site such as this? Thank you for letting us know about Elana.

    Speaking of following, I'm delighted that you are a new follower of Bird's-eye View. If you or a blogging friend would ever like to do a guest post, my e-mail address is mefayard(at)yahoo(dot)com.

    Wishing you a great day!

    Michelle
    http://michellefayard.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete