Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th and Divergent by Veronica Roth


Today's Monday. And Mondays I do books. But I would be remiss (is that how you spell it?) if I didn't wish everyone a happy 4th of July. So Happy Independence Day America.

This is where I spent my day. And this is where I am watching the fireworks right now as I type this post! Not bad eh?


So Divergent...by Veronica Roth. I must thank my sweet Kenzie-coo once again for another great book swap. I gave her Matched and she gave me Divergent. So thanks Kenz. But it is funny about that swap because both books remind me of the other in some ways. They are both dystopians, set in a supposedly "ideal" world. And they are both great reads. And this is what I learned:

I learned that I love kick-A protagonists. This one is named Beatrice...well, she used to call herself that, now she goes by Tris. And she is strong, and courageous, and surprisingly capable of violence. She sort of reminds me of Katniss from the Hunger Games. She is brave and dauntless. Actually, that is the faction she chooses for herself: Dauntless. This book is set in a futuristic dystopian Chicago, after chaos has corrupted the American way. Everyone has to choose one of four factions. It is way interesting. Anyway, Tris is a great character, and has the guts to follow her heart.

I learned that I don't especially love the use of vegetables as adjectives describing people's physical characteristics. Like celery colored eyes or carrot colored hair. I just can't dig it. But I also learned that despite small put offs like that, and other style issues, the plot carries this book. I was always interested in why Tris was different, ("Divergent") and how she was going to change her world.

I learned that non-gratuitous violence makes me sit up in my seat. I like action, fight scenes, and the bravery shown in combat situations. Tris has to learn how to fight, and so do the other kids she is training with, and some crazy fights go down. Even some slightly perturbing, violent acts. And rather than put me off, they make my heart race and turn pages without breathing. I love it.

8 comments:

  1. So excited for this one. I just ordered it on Amazon last week! :D
    New here! **waves**

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Happy Belated 4th of July to you! ;-) That looks like a pretty awesome place to spend the day and I love fireworks!

    Thanks for the heads-up on Divergent, shall add to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on the waiting list for this for a very long time. I am now 36 out of 72 holds. So I should get it in 2012

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not kidding-- that's a fabulous spot for 4th of July fireworks!

    I've been wanting to read Divergent. I, too, LOVE me a good kick-a protag. They're my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura u can borrow mine. That's a good reason to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard good things about this book--can't wait to check it out. Cute blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. if I remember correctly, DIVERGENT has been sold for a movie adaptation last winter too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessie, I broke down and bought the book and read it in one day. It was good. I was so happy that there was NO love triangle!!. Cant wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete