Wednesday, July 27, 2011

YA Highway

 Blog Wednesday: YA HIGHWAY

Many of you have probably already heard about or visited this site, but for those of you who haven't, you should. Especially if you like to write or read Young Adult books. Arguably, the hottest, most exciting age group by the way!

This is why I like I like it:

I like how the site is run by a group of contributors (writers--some published, some not YET) that who have a lot to say about YA literature and publishing. It is almost like an encyclopedia of knowledge--links, information, agents, conferences, writing craft, etc. Whatever stage of the writing game you're at, you can find the help you need. You just finished your first draft ever, what now? You're done with revisions, but now you need to get a social platform going--how? And after some querying rejection, need some inspiration? YA Highway has it.

I like how I can put a link to the highway on my blog and with one click of the mouse I can focus in on some good stuff. There is a TON of reading out there in the blogosphere, and sifting through it to find the real helpful stuff can be hard, not to mention time zapping. You know what I mean: you intend to check one or two blogs for five minutes, then an hour later you come up for air and wonder if you will ever get that time back. YOU WONT.

I like how the contributors are both published and yet to be published. This way we get to see their success as they go. I don't know about you, but I absolutely love to hear people announce their book deals or agent signings online. I get so stoked for them, and dream of the day it will happen to me. This is the case with contributor Kristin Halbrook. She has recently announced her two book deal, starting with her debut Will and Zoe to Harper's Childrens, through agent Suzie Townsend. I love Suzie Townsend by the way and am always glad to hear when her clients do well.

I like how it is a forum for writers and readers to share with each other. There's a lot of ways to find out what is hot in YA right now. You can go to a conference and ask agents. You can go to a bookstore and peruse the best selling racks. You can hire a personal assistant to research the matter and debrief you. Or you can go to a site like this and quickly find out what YA is buzzing about.

So Be in the "In Crowd" and join the YA Highway!

18 comments:

  1. LOVE YA highway - they're a cool group.
    YATopia is also an awesome group :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie -I like this site, too! - By the way I enjoyed reading your blog. - Maeve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO not part of the in crowd. I've never even been to that site! How lame is that? I'm going to redeem myself RIGHT NOW. Even though I don't write YA. Mostly because it's MG that is the hottest, most exciting age group!! Okay, maybe funnest more than hottest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh...Pegs. You make me laugh out loud. I knew you would defend your MG age group. Thats why I said "Arguably."

    Jolene- I will have to check out YAtopia. Thanks.
    Maeve- thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, sounds awesome. I've heard of it but not ventured over. Will do! Thanks for the heads up. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love YA Highway as well. Great site. Really enjoyed looking around your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds great. I'll pop on over and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for all the kind words, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...yep, I've dropped by and "browsed" the shelves a time or two ;) It's a great site.

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  10. YA Highway is made of awesome! *fist bump* :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you enjoy the site, Jessie! And Peggy, we have two MG writers on staff (including Michelle, who commented above), so come visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, thanks so much Jessie! For the site shout-out and mentioning my deal. It's an exciting moment for me! :) You're a sweetheart. (Also, we have three MG writers on staff :P)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, this is SO sweet. thank you so much for featuring us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its official. No need to "argue" over MG/YA superiority. We'll take it all, right? Thanks everyone for coming by. I will take CherylAnne's lead and fist bump you all. **bump bump** Go YA Highway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a great place for those who like that particular genre.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tip. Even though my novel is in the adult genre, I'll still check out Y.A. highway. Who knows, maybe my next novel will be a Y.A.

    Also, thanks for the following. I really like your blog and plan to join.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey just found your blog and I'm follower 101! lol! Great post. Looking forward to getting to know another fellow writing addict. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love YA Highway! I feel like that site is a little bit like TV Tropes... you click one topic and see another one...and another one...and another one... and pretty soon you're stuck in an endless loop of interesting topics.

    Also--I awarded you! ^_^ It's over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete