Friday, August 26, 2011

B is for Break

Yesterday I woke up and I didn't want to face the day. Ever have a day like that?

So I did what any good wife would do: I convinced my husband to play hookie from work for a few hours and go golfing with me!

It was so what the Dr. ordered. We have a lot going on right now. We are moving this weekend, my 5 year old starts Kindergarten on Monday, and my husband has been super busy. We needed a mini-break.

And it was seriously the best day ever of golf. Since it was 113 degrees outside, we had the whole course to ourselves (except for this duck). We were the only ones crazy enough to be out there. I got the lowest score I've ever gotten, and I hit a 110 yard fairway shot straight into the hole for EAGLE!!! I threw my hat in the air and fell to the ground in joy:)!!! (For those of you who don't know golf, this is good. Like once in a lifetime good!)

It got me to thinking about writing. Have you ever crafted a sentence or a scene so perfectly that you just want to jump up, fall down, throw something, tell someone? Of course, most all of us write with an audience in mind, but rarely do we ever get to share the exhilaration of a moment with a reader. But sometimes that doesn't matter, because it is enough that we experienced it, created it, knocked it in from a hundred yards out.

Yesterday totally invigorated me, refreshed me, and inspired me. What do you guys do to blow off some steam? (Besides writing)

Happy Weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great shot! And on being able to take the invigorating, refreshing, inspiring break. I think that far too often, we just slog through things, forcing us to the end, when taking a break might just be what gets us there quicker. And saner.

    And those moments where everything works out perfectly? I think that high can fuel you for days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I did the SAME thing the other day - only it was like 60 degrees outside . . .

    Also - Woot on the eagle!! I've gotten SO SO SO close, but have yet to make it.

    And yes, there are times when my fingers are flying across the keyboard, and something hits my brain and I grin as I type and REALLY want to do a happy dance when I re-read. It's one of the best parts about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Jolene! You golf??!! I like you even more now:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning with the husband and no kids?? Sounds amazing :) When I need a break, a lot of times I'll take a book into the bubble bath or arrange a sitter and go on a date with my husband (finally seeing Harry Potter tonight--we are lame)

    And I just wrote something that I LOVED and wanted to send it to my crit people, but it is in the middle of the book and wouldn't make any sense without context, so I refrained myself and it is killing me. I'm actually writing faster to finish it, so that I can send it to them and have them read that scene. Whatever works to get it done, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been golfing once and it wasn't pretty. That is the one sport I've never really played. I really want to learn though! :) Congrats on the Eagle!! That is tough! :D

    When the hubby and I need a break we usually watch a movie together or go on a bike ride. Both are planned tonight! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need me a break too! Please take me golfing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in need of a mini-break right now, now that you mention it! Golf sounds wonderful and rock on with the EAGLE! *cheering*

    I do love those moments when you manage to write something so great and you just love it! We should share those moments more.

    BTW- I ordered the book you wrote about the other day. The French Kiss one. Its in the mail, slowly coming my way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so bad at golf, but it's fun :)

    I like to go for runs to blow off steam. It really clears my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know "someone" who does not mind the 113 heat as long as he is golfing. Congrats on your awesome shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the great shot! I like to sit on a tree stump at the edge of the woods in back of my yard! Peace, quiet and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoop! An Eagle - you go girl! I love golf, I'm not that great but I do try. And - I have to say, impressive day of playing hookie with hubby. How fab.

    Writing - yes, I do a special dance and whoop for joy when certain sentences come together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job taking a break and WOW on the Eagle. My boyfriend's dream is to join PGA tour, so I know how hard it is to get an Eagle. Sounds like you deserved it for braving the heat and getting out of the house. Plus, your mad golfing skills, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um, I've played mini golf a few times. It's fun. ;-)

    Love taking impromptu breaks - always such a feel-good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finally managed to skii and wakeboard longer than two seconds the other day. I went so long I actually made the DECISION to let go. Haha. That day included a lot of "Aha"s and "Yes"s.

    I gave you an award. Read about it here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on that Eagle!

    Too many of us neglect ourselves and forget to take as many breaks as we should. Glad it refreshed you.

    ReplyDelete