Wednesday, August 3, 2011

YAtopia: Check it one time

Blog Wednesday: YAtopia

Last week I chose to highlight YA Highway, and it was a hit. I got more views on that post than ever. People who follow my blog love YA, and really showed enthusiasm for a larger scale forum where published and unpublished YA authors get together to offer resources, advice, entertainment and inspiration. 

Thus YAtopia. I found out about this blog by a commenter on the YA Highway post: Jolene Perry over at Been Writing? She told me to check it out and I did. And here's what I loved about it:

The contributors are made up of 8 writers that come in all shapes, sizes, nationalities, and genders. Yes, I said "genders." They have a dude. A YA author dude named DJ who has a really cool sounding book out called Hunted. I gotta check that out. 

They are "legit." They don't just mess around with fluffy posts all the time. They have something to offer. For example, last week one writer named Chanelle Gray linked to her blog about a Pitch Contest with her agent Victoria Marini. And the day before, they had another Pitch Contest going with Vickie Motter. AND the week before they had a Full Manuscript Review contest with Bree Ogden. To me, this kind of stuff is why I blog: opportunities. I dig that.

They just flat give stuff away. All the time. Signed ARC's. New books. And tons of advice, lessons, and laughs. They are a cool group of peeps. I like them. I hope to meet some of them someday. You know, hob-nobbing with other cool writers at some fabulous event meant for the cool kids. I see authors do that all the time: post pictures of themselves with other writers of note. 

So check it one time.



17 comments:

  1. No...not "every" gender...since there are only 2. I just meant it is refreshing to find a YA male voice. I know its not totally rare, but it is definitely lopsided out there. And he seems like a cool guy. I hope I didn't offend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The YATopia girls are awesome.

    Kelley Vitollo is one of my FAV crit partners and friends - we co-wrote a book together with all sorts of attitude and fun.

    Kelley York is WAY cool, and Wendy Higgins is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet.

    An AWESOME group, I tell ya :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will. Thanks for the heads up.

    Loving the look of your blog here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I just found your blog through Jolene's blog! Isn't she awesome? I love the writers blog world. I will have to check out this site. Sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know all the cool people, Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks! What a great, informative post! I'll check them out. This one's high up on the Help-Us-Out-Meter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks for the kind words Jessie! I hope I get to meet you someday too!

    I <3 all my YAtopia blog-mates and yes, DJ, is definitely a cool guy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Thank you so much for highlighting us!! That is so nice of you. Glad you like to hang out at YAtopia and find it helpful! That's what we want. To be helpful and FUN! Again, thank you so much. It's really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! Thanks for the YAtopia shout-out! :) We have a lot of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jessie! You should, um, maybe go check the, uh..Project Mayhem Blog. Just sayin' *waves bye*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Thank you so much for mentioning our site and for the kind words! :-) I'm so honored to be among such lovely ladies and I hope you like my book when you get a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing the link. Blogging is great fun, you get to meet so many like-minded folks. I love it. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we all agree YAtopia has some good stuff to offer. Add them to your bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete