Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blog Wednesday: B is for Besties

 Chances are you know Erin Summerill. She is hard to miss--not because she's large and in charge cuz' she's not, but because she is super outgoing, incredibly kind, beautifully Hawaiian, amazingly talented and every other adverbial description:) Basically, she shines as bright as the sun, and she is the photographer for a ton of the conferences, including LDStorymakers.

I met her when I attended my first Storymaker's Conference in 2010. I went with a friend of mine from Vegas and we knew nothing and no one. We found a random table to sit at, and somewhat nervously began chatting amongst ourselves. When I heard someone raise her rather loud voice in my direction, "Oy, you girls! What you write?" I did that thing where you swivel your head trying to find the person behind you she must be talking to. But nope, she was talking to us. Back then I didn't even know what to call what I was writing. I didn't know the lingo. She worked with me while I widdled my story down to the basics so she could school me on the fact that my manuscript was considered "YA Paranormal Romance."

From that moment on, from across the table in a crowded room, she became one of my writing besties. In fact, she might win that top spot because she has introduced me to almost all of my other writing besties that have changed my world. She is a good person to know, she only has a million friends. And I delude myself into thinking I am her bestie too!

Check her out at her Writerly-ish Blog and her Photography Blog.

What about you guys? Have you met someone at a conference that helped you get to the next level of your writing?

21 comments:

  1. I don't know her, but I want to! She sounds WONDERFUL. What a fun and tender story. Besties are awesome and oh-so-important! Going to her blogs now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were at Storymakers!? I'm so lame! I'll have to meet you next time! :D And I did see her running around taking pictures. She looked so sweet and nice. I'll have to introduce myself next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story!!

    Mostly I FINALLY got to meet a bunch of the people I'd met online. It was SO fun. That was at last year's Storymakers :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's Hawaiian and a photographer?!? (I have a soft spot for Hawaii) I'm on to check out her blog...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met you at a conference! And that was awesome, indeed.

    Erin is pretty much a super hero, and always baffles me with the sheer amount of stuff she can get done in a day. I'm glad to call her one of my bff's, and love having her in my critique group.

    Plus, she makes me look pretty. (Yep! She's the one who took my profile pic.) What more could you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love meeting up with fellow writers and bloggers where possible. I won a critique and got to meet up with an author to discuss a certain 'love' chapter I was having a few issues writing - it was a great experience.

    Happy writing this week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to the league of Utah Writers conference this weekend, and it's my first so we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, I thought you were the one that ran around with her at the conferences, and now I know! I think I saw you all at LTUE and Storymakers. I'm sure I'll see you around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes...Peggy was at that table with erin! How lucky I was that day...two besties:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate! U conference queen! R u going to RWA in Park city in October? Anybody else going?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to a writing conference, since we don't have those in my country :) but I did meet lots of lovely writers in the blogosphere, and some of them have become a dear part of each of my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been to a confrence yet. I hope to go to the next one in my area.

    I went over to Erin's site, she is SO funny.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the introduction to Erin!

    I didn't meet my crit group at a conference, but they have DEFINITELY pushed my writing to the next level. I love them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was also able to meet Erin at the conference. The Storymakers conference is such a great place to meet people!

    ReplyDelete
  15. AW! Jessie, you are my bestie so much...and not just because you like to spoon me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! The people I've met at conferences are all people who have helped my writing - either by critiquing or just being around to chat about books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erin is fabulous, no doubt! Both of you lovely ladies are on my list! Can't wait to see you at the upcoming conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Storymakers conference was where I got my first introduction to the writing industry and met so many wonderful friends. I love going to conferences. (And I subscribed to Erin's blog, she sounds fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not going to RWA. :( But I heard last year's was a good time. I'll have to put it on my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jessie Mindblowing blog I like it very nice

    ReplyDelete