Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Monday: Peter Nimble and his Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan Auxier

I have five things to say about this book:

1) I am super stoked about this book because I won it through a contest over at Literary Rambles. When it came in the mail from Regal Literary my heart pounded a little faster. My second ARC ever! And when I tore open the envelope and saw the real live beautiful cover, I held it over my nerdy book loving heart to calm it. (I should delete that...it sounds weird!)

2) The synopsis of this book is so intriguing: Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes is the utterly beguiling tale of a ten-year-old blind orphan who has been schooled in a life of thievery. One fateful afternoon, he steals a box from a mysterious traveling haberdasher—a box that contains three pairs of magical eyes. When he tries the first pair, he is instantly transported to a hidden island where he is presented with a special quest: to travel to the dangerous Vanished Kingdom and rescue a people in need. Along with his loyal sidekick—a knight who has been turned into an unfortunate combination of horse and cat—and the magic eyes, he embarks on an unforgettable, swashbuckling adventure to discover his true destiny.

3) The writing is fabulous. Who wouldn't want to read a book with beautiful words like "haberdasher," "swashbuckling," "thievery." Honestly, it was like being swept into Neverland, or something like it. This book has the feel of a classic. Artistic, articulate, magical, colorful, meaningful...are just some of the words that come flowing into my stream of consciousness when I think about this book. (I know...how thoughtful of me:)


4) I started reading it to my six year old daughter, whose attention span I thought might be ready since this book is Middle Grade, but I lost her after just a few pages when Peter Nimble is a baby, gets his eyes pecked out by ravens, and crawls under a pub to drink a mother cat's milk. See I thought that was interesting. 


5) Jonathan Auxier is an awesome writer name, dontcha think? So French and elegant. I'm jealous of cool writerly names. Were they born to be writers?

13 comments:

  1. I'm green with envy at the authors name - Jonathan Auxier... ooh la la. Ahem. And I love swashbucklers - are you sure this is a kids book? (bother) ;-P Sounds fab though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool - I THINK my daughter would be into this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - Yeah, I love cool author names, too. I even came up with one, but... my fam wasn't having it. LOL. And I can see why you lost your daughter at the eye pecking part. EEewww. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only does he have an awesome author name but he's got an awesome title to match! Love it! Thank you so much for sharing, this one's on my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW! This book sounds like a MUST READ! I don't know how you lost your daughters attention but it happens! I definitely MUST read this! So glad you won it so you could share it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jessie,
    I'm so glad I gave you a shout out on my blog today. When I reviewed my post, I clicked on the link to test it and it brought me to this wonderful post today. Just stopped by to say hi. Also, I love that a book can calm your nerdy little book loving heart. I can relate hehehe. Will be stalking again soon;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously. I need a new author name. I'm adding this book to my list -- it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had me at swashbuckling :) Added to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I love a good middle grade. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, I mean LOVE that cover! I would buy it based on that alone. The title would've done it, too. Especially in that font! (It's possible I'm a highly visual person.) But even if those didn't get me, the synopsis totally would have! The writing is fabulous, too? Seriously. I'm going over to Goodreads RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, just wanted to let you know I've given you a blog award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds SO COOL!!! I have been looking for a book just like that to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. it really is a charmingly lovely cover!

    ReplyDelete