Monday, September 19, 2011

Book Monday: Possession by Elana Johnson

Admission #1: I bought this book the first week it came out (several months ago), and read the first few chapters right away...before I lent it to a friend on vacation who didn't have anything else to read. I was concurrently reading Divergent so I reluctantly said "whatev." Well, you know how things go with lending books. Sometimes it takes a minute to get it back. I finally got it back last week. And dove right back in.


Admission #2: I have pretty much been stalking Elana Johnson via her blog for over a year now, and I heart everything that comes out of her bacon loving mouth. (Why do I sound so creepy sometimes?)


Admission #3: I loved Possession. And here's why: (in bullet points)
  • Spunk. Elana's got spunk and her protag Vi has more spunk. She is not afraid to break the rules, fight back, scrap for freedom. In a world where even thoughts are controlled, Vi dares to think for herself! Gasp. None of us can relate, right? I sure can. I grew up in a situation where girls were expected to behave a certain way, and accomplish certain goals, by a certain age. I sort of did it my own way, and that's why I was rooting for Vi.
  • Romantic/sexual tension. I hesitate to use the word "sexual" cuz it wasn't at all over the line. I just mean, there is a boy and a girl and another boy (no, not menage a trois gutter brains...just a good ol' fashioned love triangle). Bad boy Jag or good-ish boy Zenn. I am not a facebooker, but I hear there is a Jag vs. Zenn contest on Elana's facebook page you might want to check out.
  • The world building. I love dystopian literature for the fact that it takes the "what if" to the max. Elana has created a scary picture of a very possible future where the government knows all. With access to each mind, and the ability to control and manipulate thoughts, the leaders rule with tyranny. Plus hubbercrafts, technological clothing, robot attorneys...its like Back to the Future meets Lady Gaga meets iRobot. In a good way. (I'm pretty sure Elana pitched it better than that!)
So read it! But you probably already have, because Elana's a marketing genius. And the cover is so pretty!

19 comments:

  1. Gosh, yes. You've just reminded me! This one has been on my list for a while too. I've a habit of reading several books simultaneously... not so wise but I'll definitely read it. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so not creepy, and I loved the review. Good choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read through this so fast and loved it! Isn't she fab? Now I don't know how to wait for book#2. Ugh. I want to know more! And I totally don't think you're creepy - more on the awesome blog stalker side! :)I do it too. shhhh - don't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elana totally rocks.
    LOVE her.

    Met her briefly at the Storymakers conference last year, and I feel SO bad that I STILL haven't read her book.

    SInce most of what I write is contemp, it's hard to jump out of that when I feel SO behind in my contemporary reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks BUNNY! for dropping by the blog. If the Woman in Turmoil cover is still available when your ready, you're welcome to it. Check back when you are closer to publication.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Elana too! Can't wait to read her book! We'll have to chat once I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. a very simple, but nice book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to reading Elana's book! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elana is made of awesome as is her novel. Her love for bacon is fabulous - it makes me love her more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read it. I wish hubby would buy me my books already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to read this! And I bought it months ago as well. And haven't started it yet. Epic fail. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to read this one! And she really is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved POSSESSION and have been following Elana's blog for a long time. I learn so much from it. This is a great review. All your points about why this book is so good are so right on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I think we're all stalking Elana at one point or another. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been stalking Elana for about 6 months. So you win. I read her book a few weeks ago, and I loved it! She keeps you wondering who is good and who is bad through the entire book! I can't wait for the 2nd book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elana rocks. Like a lot. I am in the middle of reading Possession RIGHT NOW. It's FABULOUS! (I knew it would be because, hello, Elana wrote it.) I am very much agreeing with your whys. Next up: Divergent! (I got them both in the mail on the same day.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. a totally different way to review and helpful hints to boot! awesome =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous book and Elana is a fab person! Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete