My husband and I have struck a deal. A bargain. A trade. This past weekend he was allowed a golf weekend with his cousin. This is where he went:
C'est the Justin Timberlake Shriner's Open Golf Tournament at TPC in Summerlin, Las Vegas. He watched the pros play, he played himself at a course close by, and afterward played hookie from life and all his normal responsibilities. Left early, came home late, and I encouraged it. And oh yeah, he was also hangin' with JT:
AND NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the aforementioned (and my generosity and munificence) this is where I get to this coming weekend:
A few of my favorite writer friends have invited me up to Utah for the Romance Writer's of America Heart of the West Conference in Park City. I went to this conference last year, and it was a blast. Two of my friends ended up landing agents from attending this conference. Neither of them were extended actual offers of representation until many months after the conference, but the introduction was made, and they both have some amazing deals in the pipeline.
I wasn't sure I wanted to go again this year because my life is super hectic these days, but I am going for the following reasons: (You feel the bullet points comin'?)
- It's a pretty inexpensive conference considering others I've been to;
- It's a smaller, more intimate setting, where there are plenty of opportunities to have real conversations with people in the industry;
- The hotel is beautiful--more like a gigantic cabin-mansion on the mountain.
- It's a great way to make connections with new critique partners, writing groups, blog friends, etc.;
- It's an awesome get away. Plain, simple, adult time. For those of you with little ones, you feel me!
- Workin' on the craft. I dont know about any of you guys, but I don't have any immediate plans to go back to school to get my MFA in writing. I am teaching myself, and conferences go a long way in that respect.
- Tons of great guests, authors, and editors.
- Three totally awesome agents:
- Laura Bradford, Bradford Literary Agency
- Anita Mumm, The Nelson Literary Agency
- Marlene Stringer, The Stringer Literary Agency
I don't think its too late to register if anyone wants to meet me there. Go bargain with your significant other for a free weekend.
You can find me in the hot tub!