Wednesday, October 12, 2011

B is for Boys...as in THE NEXT DOOR BOYS by Jolene Perry

The day has come! It's official. Today is my day to host the Blog Tour of THE NEXT DOOR BOYS by Jolene Perry. I feel so special.

Ahem. **checks microphone to see if its on** Without further ado, I present to you the official blurb:

Leigh Tressman has been known as a lot of things – the girl who sings, the girl who sews, Jaron’s little sister, and last year, the girl with cancer. With her body still recovering from the cancer treatments, she’s determined to be independent and convinces her parents to let her follow her overprotective brother, Jaron, to BYU.

With an ever expanding line of young men ready to be in love with her – not to mention physical frustrations, and spiritual dilemmas – Leigh almost misses the opportunity to be with the man who has been quietly falling in love with her since they met. The Next Door Boys proves that even with (or maybe in spite of) independence, love can be found in comfortable, but delightful places.


The first nice thing that I would like to say about this book is that I read it in basically two sittings. In my crazy world, that's a compliment. The rest of the nice things that I would like to say will be Broken down (like Backstreet Boys) into Bullet points (didn't see that comin' right?):
  • As a contemporary book, its totally relate-able. I heard once that sometimes its easier to convince readers that vampires and werewolves exist than convince readers that your human character does. The trick is to make us believe in the characters, make us sympathize for them, and ultimately root for them. I felt this way about Leigh. I wanted her to find the independence and the love she deserved. Which I hear is a Houdini trick at a place like BYU! Sorry BYU fans:).
  • Swoon worthy love interests. Jolene and I must have similar taste in men or something, because she wrote guys that did "it" for me. I don't know exactly what "it" means, but you know what I mean. For a previous blog discussion on "it" click HERE.
  • SHOCKING CONFESSION: I've never read an LDS novel before. Is it too racy to call myself a LDS novel-virgin? Yes? Oh sorry. Anywayz, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. In fact, I had my concerns as I entered the honeymoon suite of Mormon literature. Too much again? Da*# it! Sorry...again. Anyway, I think Jolene did such a fabulous job of creating a coming of age love story that any "churchy" or "religious stuff" felt seamless. I cared about the characters, I found myself neck-deep in their world, enjoying my time in "Happy Valley"--is that still what they call Provo?
You can find Jolene's awesome Blog HERE
You can find Jolene's awesome Group Blog HERE
You can buy Jolene's awesome Book HERE

20 comments:

  1. Wow, I want a copy of Jolene's book. She's pretty fab. And I love boys! Uh...you know what I mean. I'm not like a pedi or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post. Can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I have a hard time with some LDS novels too, but Jolene's is wonderful and perfectly believable AND the boys did "it" for me too! Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun read! Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to check it out. I love books with boys that do "it". Ok- that sounds creepy. You know what I mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the boys totally did "it" for me. And, I totally agree with it feeling real, which like you said can be hard. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessie - I had NEVER read an LDS novel when I started writing this one. I started with Ally Condie's "Being Sixteen" and LOVED it.

    Thanks SO SO SO MUCH!!!
    The boys were fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review :) And you are too funny Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That might just be one of the funnest book reviews I've EVER read. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm an LDS book-virgin, too, but after your review...I'm thinking it won't be for much longer. I got a kick out of your review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, love your blog (especially the title), and this book looks great!

    So glad to connect with you on my blog. Woot-Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book sound fabulous! I think I might have to go pick it up,a nd I grew up in Happy Valley so I bet I could totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. I'll be checking here more often for gift ideas.

    ~Draven

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! My first visit, will visit you again. Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed your posts(great review!). Congrats for your work. If you wish to follow back that would be great I'm at http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the rundown. I've seen this cover everywhere! :)

    I launched a giveaway today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like a fantastic read. Thanks for the great review. This is on my list now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I can't wait to read it!! It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah! I had no idea her book was out already! Can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

    ReplyDelete