Friday, October 21, 2011

Huntington Beach

Today, this is what I woke up to. A Huntington Beach sunrise off our balcony. Not bad, eh?


Mr. Humphries and I are extending the celebration of our 7th Anniversary. Our parents are watching the kids, and we are spending the entire weekend together, alone. As in, "not with the kids." Ahhh...just typing it makes me happy. Don't misunderstand--I love the kids. Adore them, serve them, dress them, feed them, wipe their...you get the picture. But we have never done this before. In seven years, we have never gone away together alone. We go separately all the time--I go to writing conferences, and he goes to College Football games. But never together. So it was long over due, dontcha think? I do.

Here's the plan for the weekend:
Golf

Surf

Eat Sushi at the beach
and of course...

Write
In fact, I am hoping to finish my first draft this weekend. I have about 10,000 words left. And this is the kicker, my story is set in Huntington Beach, and the final scene that I am writing right now is down the street. It feels so cool to be here.

Do you have any awesome plans this weekend? Have you ever written a scene from the real life setting? Did you love it?

19 comments:

  1. So jealous. I'd love to go on a vacation with my hubby. We haven't been anywhere by ourselves either. Well, we've gone overnight, but have never left the kids longer than that. The beach would be amazing. I hope you have an awesome weekend! And finish your book!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how far away is Huntington Beach from Washington State? : )
    You've just convinced me I HAVE to get a lap top. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely long overdue. Hope you have a wonderful time - and finish that first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 7, and the vacation by yourself is way overdue. My hubby and I do it every anniversary. It's the only way we stay happy.

    I hope you have an awesome time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, have fun you guys! And I'm jealous of the beach!

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the draft. And have fun at the beach. (I used to go swimming there when I was in high school.)

    Have a great time with your husband and congratulations on your 7th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang. I wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a dream come true! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vacations alone with the hubby are the best. I always think, "Oh ya! This is why I married you." Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing vacation! Good luck finishing your first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky girl! What a beautiful place to be. That is awesome that you get to be where you are writing your final scene! So cool! I have not done that yet, but plan to. Love stuff like that. Enjoy your "alone" time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use places I love all the time.
    THIS weekend I"m in OR for my brother's wedding :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...haven't been to Huntington in nearly six years, and missing it badly!

    Enjoy your weekend,

    El

    ReplyDelete
  14. My weekend plans aren't nearly as awesome as yours! How UNBELIEVABLY FREAKING COOL to be writing your final scenes ON LOCATION. Wow. I have goose bumps right now! I'm a million kinds of excited for you. Best of luck finishing before the weekend is out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah, look at her, she lives 20 yards from sea, and I live in the middle of the continent thousands of miles away from the closest sea :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful get away! I've written many little short pieces where the setting was precisely where I had been. I simply create my story around the locale.

    Weather permitting my big plans are just get on the motorcycle and ride some. Having a 2 year-old granddaughter visiting for the weekend is nice but I'm in need of an adult escape!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope it lived up to expectations :o)
    It took 10 years before we went away without the kids.
    My first book was based around real places, but the settings were never this amazing.
    I hope that your first draft gets finished while you are there. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally have written a scene in the actual setting, and I loved it! My surroundings weren't as beautiful as yours (WOW!), but it felt amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must admit, when I read the "and of course..." I was a little nervous about the picture that might follow. I mean your first getaway in seven years? Who knows? Just kidding. I hope you had a great trip. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete