Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Killer Character Blogfest


I have been totally looking forward to E.R. King and Deana Barnhart’s Killer Characters Blogfest. I sort of forgot on Monday (oopsies), but I figure better late than never, eh?

I was about to publish this post this morning (that I wrote yesterday) when I looked on my sidebar and noticed everyone else that I knew participating in this blogfest also chose the same exact protag! Seriously? I am so not original? Oh well. There is a reason why we all chose her. She is so effin' awesome.

 Katniss Everdeen

Katniss is totally killer. Not only because she literally kills, but also because she is kick A. No matter what life or the Capital throws at her, she has to fight to survive, to protect those she loves, and make a difference in her world. She is not above deceit, murder, or duplicity in order to adapt. Yet, all of it is done in a moral way. We are always rooting for her because even when she is acting so “killer,” her heart is always in the right place. She is an anti-hero because she kills other children, but a dynamic hero because in the end she outsmarts the one responsible for all those deaths. She is vicious and fierce, but clever and sympathetic.  

In fact, I sort of used her for a model of my current WIP. I hope I do her justice. 

What about you? Are you doing the Killer Characters Blogfest? Anybody choose anyone other than Katniss?

25 comments:

  1. So true. Who doesn't love Katniss, right? Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you said about her. She is awesome. I am really, really hoping Jennifer is able to pull her off in the movie. I saw X-men a few weeks back and I'm a little worried.

    Great Choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not doing the blogfest, but Katniss is an awesome choice! If I weren't doing her, I'd probably do Katsa from Graceling. (There's something about names starting with Kat, I guess...) SHE HAS THE GRACE OF KILLING! And I really loved that book. A lot. Everything except the love interest being called "Po." That I didn't love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice and a very sound explanation. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love katniss. I wish I was her. Sometimes late at night, I rub mud on my face and aim a bow at mark and pretend...oh wait, I don't think I was supposed to share that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aah! Hunger Games is sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read. Thanksgiving break....hopefully...

    Thanks for your comment on my blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Katniss. She is such a great example of how neglect can mold a person. But what I love most is what she does with her angst--SHE ACTS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. she is totally kick a**!
    and she is so pure that she has no idea how important and awesome she is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I am loving her! My ten year old daughter and I are reading the books, and my daughter is way ahead of me. She's on the third book and has asked my husband to teach her archery now because of Katniss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love her. I love that she doesn't sit around an wallow in misery. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not doing the blogfest. Great character choice though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katniss is definitely one of my favorite female protagonists. Haha, I was thinking about doing her but then I decided not to and went with a lesser known choice, instead. ^_^ I can't wait for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think i said elsewhere that Katniss is the reason I started reading dystopian literature.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmm, somehow I missed this blogfest. Fun idea! I love Katniss for all the same reasons. She is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katniss is a great character and is getting some well-deserved attention during the blogfest. I went in an entirely different direction and chose Alex from A Clockwork Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katniss is definitely a killer character. The other one I can think off is the main character in Graceling: Katsa. Also an anti-hero hero. Great skills, big heart, lots of internal conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, she is fantastic for all those reasons! I'm glad to see her listed as often as she is:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Katniss for all these reasons. One of the most complex, kick butt characters ever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree. Katniss rocks. I just love her toughness and determination. Yet we see her soft side as well. hey, she's what every chick wants to be IMO. :)
    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is unfamiliar to me, but I see the conflict of the dark and the light. Intrigues me.
    I am doing the Cast of Characters, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She is definitely a great protag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great choice, I agree, Katniss is an awesome character. I'm actually popping over here from the Warm Fuzzies blogfest. Great to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I saw her everywhere too! I must admit, she isn't my favorite, but I seem to be in the minority on this one big time! This blog hop you all are doing has really got me thinking about my characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is an swesomme choice and you did a great job detailing the reasons she is worthy of your choice. I think you will do an excellent job with your WIP, modeling your MC after Katniss.

    BTW, I love your "about me" I am all of the things you listed, but you make it all sound so much more fun & interesting.

    ReplyDelete