Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Best Thanksgiving Ever

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving people! Are you as excited as I am to sit around and eat your A's off? I'm so stoked, I can just taste the sweet potatoes now--soaked in butter, brown sugar and marshmellows...mmmmm.

So, in honor of the big day, I wanted to share the best Thanksgiving experience I've ever had. Believe it or not, it was when I was living in Paris.

I wasn't with my family, I wasn't with my life-long friends, I didn't have my husband or children yet, and I wasn't in even in the country that celebrates Thanksgiving. In fact, the Frenchies were like, "Mince alors, ces Américains!"

 I had no turkey or stuffing. Instead a French family I knew invited me over for a distinctly French meal with baguettes, salade, raclette fromage, sausage, and frog legs. Yes, I ate those slimy little legs that I once dissected in 7th grade. That part actually sucked. The part that totally didn't suck was how grateful I was for what I had. It's like that old adage: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I missed my family, I missed my childhood friends, I missed American turkey and cranberry sauce...but I loved them even more than I thought I could. I was grateful for my country. For my freedoms. For my ability to travel. And seriously,being in Paris in Fall was amazing. Walking the cold streets with my jacket pulled up around my ears braving the wind, taking the Metro, speaking French with strangers, and munching on pain au chocolat. It was incroyable.

How about you? What was your favorite Thanksgiving ever? Bon Appetit!

17 comments:

  1. Awww, Jessie! This made me cry! My favorite Thanksgiving? I don't know! I'm still thinking about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing! I'd love to experience Paris in fall someday. Or any season really. But it is true-you appreciate the blessings in your life when they're not right in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice reminder of how we can long to be home even in a wonderful place. As Americans, Thanksgiving is in our hearts! Thanksgiving 1987 when my now husband asked me to marry him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the French eating frog legs in regular meals was just an ignorant myth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome story Jessie. Aside from the frog legs, of course! How I would love to visit Paris in the fall. Sounds wonderful.

    I loved thanksgiving as a kid. I loved seeing my cousins and just having fun. That was pre-problem time for everyone and life was simple and good! :) (Plus, I didn't have to do the dishes.) lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! Although, frog legs would put a damper on things... ;) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessie! I've been catching up on comments today and everywhere I went, you'd been before me, so I thought you must have good taste, so I followed you over here, then I clicked the follow button as I loved your post so much as I'm a complete Francophile and travel there every chance I get, but I hasten to say, frogs legs, mais non!

    We celebrate Thanksgiving every day of the year in Australia as we're such a lucky country so far, but one day I hope to share a fair dinkum Thanksgiving dinner with a real American and taste those roast potatoes, but the thought of that brown sugar and marshmellows somewhat startles me! You what? Maybe Aussies are not into sugar to quite that extent! But alors, much more alluring than frogs legs!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and enjoy those 'spuds' as we call them. Far too hot for roast dinners here ATM. Hand me another prawn!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. @dez- I don't think frog legs are a "regular" meal in France...but brought out especially for the American guest:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Potatoes soaked in sugar and marshmallows?? I've never heard of such a dish! I don't know if I should be horrified, or intrigued. And here I was thinking you Americans weren't so different from us Canuckers.

    Great post. Made me remember a thanksgiving in Japan where I had a rather unfortunate meal of octopus balls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @steven- seriously? Octopus balls!? I am laughing so hard! Btw...its sweet potatoes...and is it that weird? I never thought about it...but it is a little over the top...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! France sounds wonderful in the fall. There's nothing like a foreign country to make you miss home--but at the same time, it's so fantastic to visit other places!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow, what a wonderful experience! I hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to have Thanksgiving in Paris. Heck. I just want to go to Paris. Period. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a nice story! Really shows you what it is in life that really matters. I agree with David, though - I'd love to have Thanksgiving in Paris. Heck, I too just want to go to Paris already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds wonderful! My best thanksgiving was in NYC, visiting friends and they took me to a lunch at a friends in Harlem. It was incredible, lots of delicious pie - I remember that.

    Have a lovely week! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can understand how you felt. I never understood how important my own family was, until I spent a Thanksgiving without them. One of my favorite Thanksgivings was last year. We had everyone over, then we played games for a long time. It was lots of fun. I also liked this year, because I was able to see my side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. he he it was a special surprise for a special guest :))

    ReplyDelete