Wednesday, December 7, 2011

HEIST SOCIETY by Ally Carter

Look who won out! Out of the five books I was reading, the one I couldn't pull away from was this one. Why you ask? I think this calls for bullet points:
  • Style- Miss Carters voice is impeccable. Not only that, but since she chose third person omniscient, she could use her own voice without worrying if it came across as well as one of the characters. And boy oh boy is she clever. I found myself smiling almost the entire way through the book. Which must be why my cheeks are sore this morning:)
  • Action- this book is full of high stakes action and movement. They go from New York, to Paris, to Italy, to London...and a few other sexy places. There is never a dull moment.
  • Intelligence- this book is smart. Like caviar and Monet smart. I feel like a got a mini-education on art appreciation in the two days it took me to sprint through this one. And history too. Something about those Nazi's always makes me perk up--their range of their evil is widespread.
  • Character- I always "got" Kat the protag. She was clever and real, sweet and lost, beautiful and bad-A, all at the same time. She was fully dimensional and I loved spending time with her. She never made any decisions that I couldn't forgive her for. Even when I didn't understand what she was doing, I trusted her, and she never let me down. She was genius. And I realized that's how I like my protags: vulnerable but fully capable of amazing. 
  • Supporting Characters- she has this best friend who I am totally going to miss being around. I felt like he was my young, billionaire friend that could do whatever he wanted for me. The sexual tension between them didn't hurt the book at all either. Then there was this cousin Gabrielle that she didn't really get along with--I loved their banter. And a whole crew of other cast members that all gave life to the story. 
  • Random stuff- she had short chapters, which I love because I feel like I can breath. Also, the book felt like a really quick read. I dont know how many words it was, or even how many pages since my e-version was different that a book, but two sittings was all it took. I love that. I get annoyed when things seem to unnaturally stretch out. And last, I loved her cover art. It's so beautiful and mischievous...just like the book. Why did it take me this long to read it?
Now, I want to take all I learned from this and apply it to my manuscript.

Have you read this one--and if so, what did you like? Any other book that you read recently that you adored?

22 comments:

  1. I really liked Heist Society. But I love all of Ally's books. The second in the series is just as good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one. I just got the second in the series and am excited to read it! :D And her other series? The Gallagher Girls? It's awesome. You should definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but it sounds great! I will have to read it. But I love the bullet points. I will have to apply them to my MS too! Good thinkin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this book. It was so fun, and the next one in the series is just as fun. I LOVE Ally's writing style. She totally ROCKS. I really like Gallagher girls. I feel closer to Cammie than I do Kat, but they are both great series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books that take you on a tour of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read it or heard of it yet, where have I been?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bullet point review? I think I <3 you, Jessie. Heist Society sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though this is not a genre I usually read, I'd be interested in reading it for its POV alone. Third person omniscient is hard to pull off well, let alone successfully. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I heart Heist Society. It was during this book that I realized Ally Carter was my favorite author. Yes, for all those bullet-pointed reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great book. I can't wait to read her next one - Common Criminals. It's on my list! Glad you enjoyed it so much. Great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed this book. I need to get the sequel and some of her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This books sounds fantastic! I'd better put it on my to-read list now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you say "sexy places," does that include Toledo, Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome break down! It makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this book. I love the author and the agent and the editor and I love it all so much I'm going to freaking explode!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one of my daughter's favorite books. I don't know why I haven't read it yet. Thanks for the in-depth breakdown.

    (New follower here, nice to *meet* you.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. *scribbles in notebook* must read and analyze to one day obtain world domination. *snaps notebook shut*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this a year and a half ago, your review makes me want to reread it. I remember feeling like it was a teenage Oceans 11 :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. High praise! I haven't read this, but it looks like I should. Another one for the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have not read this one but really loved What Alice Forgot. One of my favorite of this year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm adding this one to my list! Thanks for the rec.

    Sadly, I haven't read anything lately that really captured me. But a few months ago, I read Glow and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't read this yet, but based on your review, I might have to pick this up ASAP!

    Btw, I have a blog award for you, lovely girl!

    ReplyDelete