LEGEND didn't have that problem. LEGEND had me at hello. I read it in a day.
Here's what I loved about this book:
- Point of view: It was told from two perspectives. First person, present tense. Each chapter switched between the girl protag (June) and the boy protag (Day). Oh man, did this make for some juicy juxtaposition of thoughts.
- Setting: the story takes place in dystopic California. There is no United States of America. Just The Republic and the Colonies. It was so fascinating to see an alternate version of our society.
- Romance: Although the protags are only 15 years old, they sure do have some steamy sexual tension going on. Okay, maybe not "sexual" tension because they are never going to do it. But I mean their kisses, and their touches had me tingling. So good.
- Attention to detail: I love how Ms. Lu created such dynamic characters with so many dimensions. They are skilled and adept in ways that blew me away. Tiny details spread out here and there really drew me to the overarching story.
- I also love the story behind the story. Ms. Lu and her amazing agent Kristin Nelson couldn't sell her first book. So she started over and wrote this. Perseverance dear friends, perseverance!
Have you read it? Are you going to now?