Monday, December 12, 2011

LEGEND by Marie Lu

For me, how quickly I read a book has a direct correlation on how much I enjoyed it. Some books lay on my nightstand begging for more attention. Some have been touched. Some have been caressed. Some have even had some serious alone time. (Why do I sound like a polygamist husband?)
LEGEND didn't have that problem. LEGEND had me at hello. I read it in a day.

Here's what I loved about this book:

    • Point of view: It was told from two perspectives. First person, present tense. Each chapter switched between the girl protag (June) and the boy protag (Day). Oh man, did this make for some juicy juxtaposition of thoughts.
    • Setting: the story takes place in dystopic California. There is no United States of America. Just The Republic and the Colonies. It was so fascinating to see an alternate version of our society.
    • Romance: Although the protags are only 15 years old, they sure do have some steamy sexual tension going on. Okay, maybe not "sexual" tension because they are never going to do it. But I mean their kisses, and their touches had me tingling. So good.
    • Attention to detail: I love how Ms. Lu created such dynamic characters with so many dimensions. They are skilled and adept in ways that blew me away. Tiny details spread out here and there really drew me to the overarching story. 
    • I also love the story behind the story. Ms. Lu and her amazing agent Kristin Nelson couldn't sell her first book. So she started over and wrote this. Perseverance dear friends, perseverance!
I could actually go on and on about how much I loved this read. Believe me, I have taken notes on all the other things Ms. Lu did so well to apply to my own writing. But I will spare you.

Have you read it? Are you going to now?

22 comments:

  1. great! someone recommended this and you have seconded the good vibe i got from Lu's website. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buzz is hot about this book. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Wonderful, succinct review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the head's up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing Jessie. I am ordering some books for Christmas today and this is going in the order! Great review. It sounds like such a cool book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the third person to recommend this, so I think I'm going to have to heed your wisdom.

    I mean, if the writing made you tingle...what other choice do I have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about this book, I really want to get a hold of one somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read this yesterday too! And I was going to post about it. Dang you Jessie for always stealing my thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is sitting next to me computer, waiting!!!! I just need to finish Beautiful Creatures first.. almost there, almost!!!!

    and oh yeah, love it when stories leave me tingling.. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard wonderful things about this book. It's definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tingling! I'm totally adding this to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read it. But I'm going to now! How did I not know how fabulous this book was until now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to read this. Now I'm dying to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will now! And I'll pass it along to my husband and daughter who are sure to love it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this book on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could go on & on too. My daughter loved it too. I'm interviewing Marie and giving away my copy on Jan. 9th. I'm sad to part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to read it! I bought it for my daughter for Christmas and I'll read it when she's done. (I'm so sneaky.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to read this. It looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is SO on my YBR list. I might just buy it for myself for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. TBR. I meant TBR. Blast my morning brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a good one. From your recommendation the other week, I picked up my first Ally Carter book from the library - and I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete