Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What Kind Of Blogger Are You?

I don't know what it is right now, but it seems like there is a lot of self reflection going on in the blogosphere. People are re-assessing what they want their goals to be in regards to blogging. What they want to accomplish. Things change. The things that made you start blogging are probably different for you now-a month, a year, a couple years later.

I am no different. So I ask myself, "Self. What kind of Blogger do you want to be when you grow up?"

And honestly, I haven't been able to answer back just yet.

I look around at all the awesome bloggers I know, and analyze why I love about each: (bring out the bullet points)

  • Peggy Eddleman-Peggy is so good at practical stuff. She posts about queries, and agents, and revising, and all sorts of helpful writing helps. She has her finger on the pulse of the writing world. She does surveys, enlightening us all on how others do things. She knows the publishing industry is and generous enough to share her knowledge with all of us. Plus she has awesome hand drawn illustrations. 
  • Erin Summerill- Erin is probably the most hilarious person I know. I look forward to every single one of her posts because she has so much voice. Not only does she entertain, but the girl reads a book a day and is basically an encyclopedia on what is hot and what is not. And because she is the official photographer at a bunch of conferences, she has the hookups when it comes to hanging with agents and editors. 
  • Elana Johnson- Okay, we all know how rad Elana's blog is. I mean, I have been flat out studying her blog for over a year like I was getting credit for Creative Writing 101. She has a library sized volume of posts on writing, querying, and pretty much everything else associated with the publishing industry. And she is honest, and I love that.
  • Chantele Sedgwick-Otherwise known under the blog title, "My Writing Bug," is one of the sweetest people I have met in the blogosphere. She reviews books, gives writing advice, does a bunch of interviews, and shares all sorts of interesting things. I think one of the reasons why I keep going back to her blog is because she is loyal. If you comment on her blog, she is going to comment on yours. Not only that, but she is going to help you any other way she can. Honestly, she asks questions like, "What can I do for you?" I've taken her up on that, and she totally helped me.
  • David Powers King- I think I have a blog crush on David. Now before you go thinking all your scandalous blogging thoughts--I don't mean it in a weird, cheat on my husband kind of way. I have never even met David. What I mean, is that he cracks me up. He has the funniest tag lines, stories, and way of approaching writing. He is an InkPageant moderator, an excellent flash fiction writer for blog contests and hops, and he gives stuff away. He gives away books, critiques, and amazon gifts cards and such. So basically he puts himself out there in a million kind of ways that make you want to be friends with him. He is a pimp in the blogging world...in a good way.
There are so many other bloggers that I adore, but I have no more time to spend on this post. So basically, everyone has a niche, a theme, a strength. Whether its being helpful, entertaining, educational, sweet, or awesome. (Respectively). So what's my schtick? Being a B-Word? I'll let you know when I figure it out.

So, given the opportunity to self-reflect, what kind of Blogger are you?

25 comments:

  1. I have no idea what kind of blogger I am. An honest one I guess. I love all the blogs you listed. They totally rock.

    Yours, I can always count on wonderful bullet point information that is either totally funny, informational, or stuff that makes me ask myself questions as a writer. Oh, and love for other bloggers. You are awesome at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and great bloggers you mentioned. I ask myself that all the time - who do I want to be? Still figuring it out.

    But you seem to already have it going on. Funny that you are still growing yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha Jessie,

    I'm fairly new to the Blogosphere (I thought it was a web site for Rod, the former IL governor) but when I saw your pimp comment to David's cheesy post, I *had* to come check out your post!

    And, wow, mahalo for all the info on the other bloggers. I'm following you now, and will check the others out.

    Me? I'm a train-wreck-about-to-happen blogger, you'll see what I mean if you hop over:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these blogs for the same reasons! I think if I could point out a theme it's that all of these bloggers talk about what they know and are completely honest in their posts, plus they are super friendly!

    You blog has so much flavor too, I keep coming back becasue you open about your strengths and weaknesses, plus you are super nice too! <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ALL over the place - BUT, that's a true reflection of me.

    I blog to meet people that I get along with and that have similar goals, so if I'm anything but me and all over the place, I won't meet those people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate Elana's honesty too. I'm trying to make my blog one where I pass on the writing tips I've been given, as I've been given them. I participate in other things of-course like meme's in blog land.

    And I agree, it's always nice when someone is loyal. I think sometimes people forget how important those comments really are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever is on my mind. I guess I'm, a sharer. I want to share my experiences writing, querying and all that entails. I know I get a lot out of those other bloggers who do the same, so I just want to give back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, you are the nicest person EVER! Please tell me you're going to LTUE! I want to meet you in person! (I totally did before, but your shout out made me want to stalk you now... and I mean that in the most non-creepy-way possible.) You're the best. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WTF! I thought I was the practical blogger. I always post life lessons. What's not practical about that. It's so over between us Jessie. Over, I say. You can chew my gum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is tired an option? Yes? Good, I'm going to lie down :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blogs to highlight! I follow all of them, and I agree with your assessment of each blogger's strengths.
    In answer to your question, I'm the blogger who is good at being me. At least I think that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this so helpful! I respect every single blogger than you mentioned! I'm a 'just figuring it out'Blogger. Hopefully I'll have some pearls of wisdom to share down the line, but for now, I'm leaning on you guys to lead the way. Thanks for your awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a blogger of many topics. I avoid being pigeon-holed, it's soooo - I dunno, limiting? Well, for me. I blog for my writing and to connect and have some fun on my publishing journey (fingers crossed).

    Have a fab week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And as a side note, your blog has the catchiest title. I always have to stop by and see what you've got to say today! :) you do a great job - a lot of good insights and plenty of humor. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, Jessie. You're making me blush. And you do realize I will have to make sure someone is with us before we hang out in public, right?

    But seriously, you're the awesome one, and I enjoy stalking, err, checking out, err, visiting your blog. It's your attitude about this crazy writing business that I enjoy.

    Blog Pimp, huh? I could get used to that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd say gorgeousness is your trade mark :)

    When it comes to me, I try to be supportive and helpful when other people are developing their blogs, There are so many popular blogs which grew up and developed with my help, building up their design, image, followers... I'm proud of that :) And I love connecting people too, when they meet at my blog and become friends... that's precious

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww, Jessie! You are so good at making me sound cool. I'm going to have to start paying you! And I feel the same way about the other blogs you mentioned. They are all fabulous! I'd say YOU've got it going on with the wordage, girl. The way you write things-- whatever they are about-- is SO MUCH FUN! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is funny how much time you can spend on others blogs because they are super awesome and fun. :) First time visiting your blog and thanks for the comment on mine today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love the heck out of your bullet points. They are spot on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only been blogging for a couple of months, so I'm not really sure what my overall theme is. I definitely wanted to connect with other writers to share information and advice, and that's already happening, which is great! So far it's been a bit of a sounding board where I've mused about my thinking on various writing topics and asked others' opinions. I would also like to share my own advice though, not that I feel qualified to do so, but I guess all writers with any experience have something to offer. I'm trying.

    I'm only following Chantele out of your list, but I've heard of the others and will check them out. Agree on how nice she is - she said good things about my pitch! And you seem very nice too - thanks for following and commenting on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Elana's blog too and just started following David's. I stick to supporting debut and middle grade authors mainly. And I try to limit posting to once a week mostly. Because that's a lot of work and I want to leave time for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very good points! I love all of those bloggers too. And seriously - I can't get enough of Erin's blog. That girl cracks me up constantly. Now you've got me thinking though. I need to do some figuring for myself too. Hmmm.... what to do, what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very true...things change in the blogosphere very quickly.

    For five years, I blogged about the goofy side of science. I had a huge following, a couple thousand hits a day. And I just got burned out on it. I think doing a weekly syndicated podcast along with it hurt.

    So I decided to start over, and not make my blog so thematic. It was supposed to be about my journey to becoming published, and I just happened to get that contract sooner than expected.

    It'll be an ever-evolving thing. When I first started blogging, only YOUNG people blogged. Now, they just Tweet or post party pics on FB

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your honesty on your strengths and weaknesses and I dig bullet points. I'm proud to call you my soon-to-be-published-author friend. At this point I'm only a private blogger but maybe sometime in the near future I will have a for-the-public blog and I'll come knockin' on your blog doorstep to seize all of your knowledge ;).

    ReplyDelete