Monday, January 16, 2012

B is for Brave

Last night at the Golden Globe Award Show, the award for best supporting actress in a film went to Octavia Spencer. Ms. Spencer played Minnie--a maid in the Civil Rights era movie "The Help," which is based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett.


Ms. Spencer quoted Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in her acceptance speech: "All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance." She also went on to say that although the "Help" characters are fictional "they represent scores of real people."

I love that she won last night. I love that today is Martin Luther King day. I love that books and movies have a real effect on society. I personally feel changed by this story. I think the telling of it was brave and inspiring. It has had a real impact on the story I have decided to tell.

Did you love "The Help" too?

Happy Martin Luther King Day! May we all  strive to be more brave!

15 comments:

  1. Loved The Help and I really need to see the movie. It's awesome that she won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! She did a terrific job in the movie. I'm so glad she got the recognition she deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED. I mean, totally loved the book and the movie.
    THRILLED she won :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Martin Luther King day to you, too! Haven't seen The Help, but I still love that she won.

    And yes. I definitely need to strive to be more brave. On my list of goals, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need some help!

    I did not read The Help as of right now. I've wanted to for sometime, however, ever since I heard all the praise AND the criticisms and slams it's received. I love reading controversial stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO glad she won! She was amazing in that movie. I loved both the book and the movie. Amazing characters and story. So inspiring.

    Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought both the movie and the novel were excellent. Her speech was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I haven't seen The Help yet, definitely on my list though, its sounds intriguing! Happy Martin Luther King day to you too! All writers are brave methinks, we certainly have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's cool that she won. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read The Help yet. I will though. I'll go buy it on my Nook right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found the story really moving. So amazing. Everyone should see it.
    I'm currently reading the book too. AWESOME!

    So stoked that Octavia Spencer won. She was fantastic in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still haven't read or seen The Help yet. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only seen the movie but loved it, but I understand they did a good adaptation of the book. So very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw the movie and LOVED it, she did a fantastic job. I'm so glad she won!! I still want to read the book...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there!

    I just wanted to let you know that I left you awards over at my blog!!

    Pop on over and get em' :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved both the book and the movie. She totally deserved to win. :)

    ReplyDelete