Friday, January 6, 2012

My Author Crush

I'm not talking about a romantic crush. Nor am I talking about any other kind of weirdo crush. I'm talking about an awe/admiration/adulation crush. For an author. So don't get any ideas about my personal life!

My author crush is Ally Carter.
 She's the author of the Gallagher Girl Books and the Heist Society Books. She is quite literally a writing genius. So clever, so smart, so unique. But more specifically, this is what I love about her writing:
  • In Miss Carter's world, the sky is not the limit. There is no limit. The unimaginable is not only plausible, it's convincing.
  • Every character is interesting. There are not too many superfluous characters in her books. Everyone has a place, a mystery, a unique angle. From accents to swagger, from family history to profession, from disguise to raw truth.
  • She leaves you wanting more. Not just at the end of the book, but at the end of each chapter and the end of each scene. Not in an annoying cliff hanger sense, but in a bigger picture sense. I want more mysteries revealed, I want more exotic locations to travel to, I want more personal chemistry building.
  • Twists! Oh my H-word, the twists. Miss Carter can nail a twist. I love to be surprised. I love the "aha moments." I love the unveiling of a secret. I love the spontaneous. Reading one of her books is like going on an adventure.
  • France. Miss Carter must be equally obsessed with France as I am. As I mentioned in previous posts, I lived in France (all over France, from Bordeaux to Tours, Nantes to Paris) and I adore the place. She hits France more than a few times, and I mark each trip like one of my own. She takes me there!
  • I could go on and on, but the bar tender should cut me off. "No more bullet points for you! Time to call a taxi Miss."
So, the question of the day (that you may or may not want to admit publicly) is: Who is your author crush? 

17 comments:

  1. Over here, (in the UK),there's a guy called Robert Muchamore. He's done a series of YA books called Cherub. They're kid spies. The plots are imaginative and the characters are complex. And to top it all off, he's an incredibly nice guy. He's accessible to his fans, makes a point of answering emails, and has inspired me no end. If you get a chance, you should look at his stuff. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare I admit it? I haven't read Ms. Carter yet. But you've presented a very solid case that I should. What, are you a lawyer or something?

    I love reading and wish I could write like so many authors. So many. But if I had to name just one I'd go with Stephanie Perkins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ally Carter's books--she hooked me with Heist Society! I have a bit of an author crush on Shannon Hale. I LOVE the way she uses language!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... never read anything by Ms. Carter yet but it's on the list for this year :)

    My author crush would probably be Laini Taylor. Man that girl can write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by Ally Carter but it sounds like I should. Off to check out her books. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ally Carter too. Have you read her "Card" books. She wrote "chic lit" before YA. Check out Cheating at Solitaire and Learning to Play Gin. They are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her books were the funniest read I had all year. They are so smart and fun. I LOVE spy stuff and she has done it so well. Nothing cheesy or corny. Just cool and amazing. She really is one of my favorite writers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice choice, Jessie! My author crush is Gena Showalter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a tie for my author crush. I, too, LOVE Ally Carter (YA), but I also love Emily Giffin (Adult)and Elizabeth Eulberg (YA). All make me laugh, cringe in embarrassment, and gasp at twists or discoveries. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK- I haven't read her stuff yet! *hangs head in shame* Apparently that is something I will have to remedy. Author crushes.... hmmm. Can I go with obvious ones like Brandon Mull or Suzanne Collins? I also love John Grisham!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read her stuff yet, but I most definitely need to now!

    As for my author crush, I'd go with Suzanne Collins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *sigh* is it okay to have a crush and be jealous at the same time, becasue that is what I am!

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is my author crush, too! I love her. Enough that if I told her, she'd totally think Creepy Stalker! So, sigh. I'll just tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My author crush is Ally Carter as well! And I love Shannon Hale. And Rachel Hawkins. I have a few... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't say as I have an author crush on anyone but I confess Clive Cussler is one of my favorites. Mixing adventure with true nautical facts and stories, you're never quite sure where one begins and one ends. A mix master for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shannon Hale is my author crush. :) She is amazing, and so nice to boot!

    And I'm obsessed with France too! Mon epoux etait au sud de France pour un moment aussi et moi je vivais a Nouvelle Caledonie pour un moment. J'adore toutes les choses francais!

    ReplyDelete