Friday, February 3, 2012

Are you &$#@! Me?

Last night was my writing night. Mr. Humphries lets me take one night a week, and every other morning to write. No kids. No stress. Just me and my laptop at the bookstore or Starbucks. So last night, whilst typing my little heart out, my friend called to remind me it was Book Club Night. I thought, "Are you &(*&%! me?"

Then I remembered that I actually wanted to go. It was DIVERGENT night. She swung by and picked me up from Starbucks and off we went to our cute little church book club. The discussion was getting a little too existential for me, so I piped in with, "So what did you girls think about the sexual tension?" Let's just say a few people looked at me with the "Are you &*$#@! me?" look on their face.

We moved past that, had lovely desserts, and headed home (having our private conversation about sexual tension...and more). My friend pulls into my driveway, and I realize I forgot to get my car from Starbucks. We looked at each other and said, "Are you *%$#%! me?" Her husband was going to be late for his night shift and she couldn't take me back. My kids were asleep so my husband couldn't take me back either. So I jumped on my pink beach cruiser and pedaled my big A back up to Starbucks to get my car.

It got me thinking about writing. Have you ever got so busy writing out an exciting idea that you totally forgot about something rather important? Something essential? Which leaves you having to get on your bike at 10:00 at night, braving the wind, and sexual predators to pedal your big A uphill to correct it? Well, I have. And it makes you say, "Are you *&%$#! me?"

20 comments:

  1. Oh my! Yes I tend to forget big stuff because all of the little stuff clogs up my brain. But wow, I've never had to ride a bike to starbucks at night. You're a trooper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is when CP's are worth their weight in gold - when there is something that I totally thought was in there, but then forgot to write.

    And I really want a pink beach cruiser. Or red. Maybe yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget something important? How about cooking dinner last night. Yeah, forgot that one because I was so busy editing. But I discovered that you can make meatloaf in the microwave.

    Wasn't Divergent great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is crazy funny. And yes, I've totally done that. Then my CPs read it and are like, 'wait, how did they get here? Or why would they do that?'

    And then I realize I forgot a few very important things :)

    My characters have never forgot their car though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky your husband gives you a writing night. Maybe I can negotiate for once a month. I've forgotten things because of writing too, but I never got stuck without my car because of it. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man - I say that ALL THE TIME! For writing and everything else. I hate those days, they are aggravating. But I promise - you are NOT alone.

    AND BTW - the sexual tension in that book was GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL you poor thing, but how nice to have such an awesome hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love going to church book club with you. The ladies cheeks would be scarlet by the time we left.

    At least your car was withing peddling distance. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I love that story! Glad you're okay, btw. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to ride my bike at night whilst thinking about all the creeps who are probably following me.

    And really, they didn't want to talk about the sexual tension?? Baffling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lets just say i make a lot of u-turns
    i'm the queen of the sidetrack
    i know the formula for any tangent

    ps, Four is so tantalizing and Tris is so naive!

    have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah hah hah hah . . . those are my very favorite writing moments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Yeah, I forgot stuff often. So thankful for my little reminder app on my phone! My kids are pretty thankful for that too I assume. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have definitely forgotten big stuff when I've been writing, although more usually it's just stuff like burning dinner. Never had to ride anywhere though, at 10pm or any other time. Thank goodness I can't drive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Jessie you are too funny :) I forget stuff all the time when I am writing--like eating, laundry, picking my kids up from school. I'm kind of a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Jessie! I hope you use that as writing material. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely missed my stop on the train once because I was so engrosed in my writing.
    I think I said something a lot ruder that you did. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahaha! Jessie, you're hilarious!

    And... um... yeah. You could say a few things fell through cracks.

    ...Or maybe more than a few.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! Hilarious. I've definitely had those moments. More than a few. Especially when I'm pregnant. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha! Yep, I've had plenty of brain-cramp moments!

    I love how perfectly you expressed your, Jessie. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely have had these moments. I forget tons of mundane things while writing. Great post, thanks for sharing your very funny story with us.

    ReplyDelete