Monday, February 27, 2012

The Lesson of the Punchbowl Pub

Two weeks ago when I was in London, my best friend took us to one of her favorite pubs in London: The Punchbowl. It's owned by Guy Ritchie and in one of the trendier parts of town.


Never mind the fact that a Diet Coke costs $10.00 there.  But, it was the experience that was so enchanting. On every table a real candle was burning, leaving strands of wax all over the place. The wooden floor creaked with every jostle of a stool. The smell of old ale and cigars wafted through the narrow halls and low hanging ceilings. The sound of belly laughs and pint glasses sliding around the bar cutting into conversations. The taste Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes with gravy comforting the soul. And then there was the company:


Sitting at the table next to us was none other than the Saturday Night Live Comedienne, and Bridesmaids front lady, Kristen Wiig. It seriously took me like an hour to confirm her identity because in real life she is so tiny and discreet.  We formulated that she was with her "lover" and really didn't want to be noticed. But I couldn't help myself and totally asked her for a picture. She very politely said she'd prefer not to since she had just downed like 10 shots of whiskey. I looked down at the table and lo and behold, there were the glasses to prove it. I blushed a little for being so thoughtless, but she wouldn't let me feel bad. She preferred just to talk to me.

So the moral of the story is that graciousness and generosity matters. No matter where you are, who you are, or who you are with, you can show grace and kindness to those you come in contact with in life. I shall call this "The Lesson of the Punchbowl." :)

Anybody else think Kristen Wiig is way rad? She almost won an Oscar last night!

19 comments:

  1. how cool is that? so funny she wouldn't take a picture because she was probably a lot more than tipsy, hehe! That shows restraint! I would have been suuuuure take as many pics as you want, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story! I agree that graciousness and generosity are attributes that we all should apply in our day-to-day lives. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great you met her. She is so funny, I adore her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lesson. So true, and what an amazing experience. That place sounds like such a wonderful experience as well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kristin Wig. Have you seen her in that SNL skit of the Lawrence Welk show? Pee your pants funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it that one where she has tiny hands???? So creepy and funny!!!!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful story. She really does seem very gracious. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is by far my favorite snl cast member! Absolutely hilarious. I'm so glad she's friendly too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome story! After watching Bridesmaids I have come to love Kristen Wiig--she's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still jealous that you got to go to London. Not jealous that you paid $10 for a diet coke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is sooooo awesome! A little kindness always goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun story! I love that she was so gracious-- and that you were too! :) Nice goes a long way in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think YOU'RE way rad for going to London. I would seriously wet myself if I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww! I love that story! I don't even know her, but now I think she is totally rad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No way! You saw Kristin Wig? She is my favorite. Everytime Snl changes out their cast, I think I'm not going to like the new cast as much, but I lOVE her. I'm sorry she was whiskyed up so you couldn't get a picture. I would've snuck one with my phone...but I'm kind of an arse that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Kristen Wiig! And I love that she didn't want a picture because she was too drunk. At least she keeps it classy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story, wish I was there. I love Kristen Wiig. London sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete