Monday, February 6, 2012

Writing + Politics = Possible Disaster

At the risk of exposing my personal political views and alienating many of my dearly loved followers, I can't help but express my excitement. As some of you might heard, there's a little election going on these United States of A. This last weekend, my home state of Nevada received most of the focus for the Republican nomination for President. It just so happened that last Friday night Mitt Romney had a rally one block behind my house--at my local pizza joint.

I couldn't help myself, I had to go. My mom and I scooted ourselves up the street to see what all the hoopla was about. Let's just say there was a lot of passion, fervor, and enthusiasm--both for and against Mr. Romney. The part I loved about the experience was the energy. I felt inspired by the sheer buzz in the air. My creative mind was all aflutter, generating idea after idea for enriching and layering conflict in my manuscript.

But of course politics can be very divisive, and I believe it is generally not wise to interject personal political views in a work of fiction. However, like Suzanne Collins did so well in the Hunger Games, it is totally worthwile to look at it objectively as a source of conflict. In that case, it can be thought provoking and provide a powerful connection to the readers.

So what do you think? Is the discussion of politics okay in fiction?

25 comments:

  1. Isn't politics just a parrot with a wrist watch?
    (Sorry, couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collins did a great job with it and if done correctly, it may further deepen the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it in fic, as long as it's not obviously trying to make current political commentary...

    Glad you got to go :D

    I love the energy at events like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy shortly. And you're right, she did a fantastic job portraying politics without alienating her readers.

    She stuck to universal truths - and it's what defines her books as dystopian for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Absolutely.
    On another note: I am digging this whole GOP race right now. I love events that get me pumped because it always crosses over to my creative side.
    On another note: Will I see you at LTUE?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never put any political stuff in a novel, but I'm definitely not against it. And by the way, I loved your Starbucks/bookclub post thingy. What did you think of Divergent? I just finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! I don't put any political stuffs on my blog to be safe. not all readers are open-minded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as it is a part of the plot, why not? It provides excellent external and internal conflict for the characters. Glad you got to go! Sounds like it was quite the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure it is! I love politics in a book. As long as you can stay away from political parties that actually exist (which I guess might limit you to mayoral races in contemporary), I say the sky's the limit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's totally okay. What better way to cause conflict :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Politics are totally free game. I especially love when an author doesn't have an obvious agenda and just lets the reader decide what they think :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was there baby! Sorry I didn't see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is perfectly fine to use politics and it can be a perfect way to build conflict. I also love it when an author does not openly push an agenda but lets the readers decide.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lot of spy thrillers use politics. Also I can't think of a dystopian that doesn't use the politics of that world as part of the plot.

    If the reader decided to info dump his personal opinion it wouldn't work but many, many books use politics. Even if they're not our politics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't discuss politics on my blog but I think it's great for fiction. As long as it's handled well, and not a soapbox for the author, I think it adds depth to a story. I love political thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like what everybody else is saying, politics is fine in fiction if handled well. Too much, and the reader will think you're overall preachy. But it sure makes for a nice conflict/tension in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gah! I meant "overly" preachy, not "overall" preachy.

    *brainslap*

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're right, Suzanne Collins was able to use politics with perfection in The Hunger Games. It's definitely worth writing about in fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Writing + Politics = Possible Disaster
    I think does not make logic...


    Custom Thesis Writing

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think writers can write on politics topic but they are not politicians.

    Dissertation Writing
    Dissertation Writing Services

    ReplyDelete
  21. I stumbled on your blog, just goggling writing and novel and blog. Paper Writing Service

    ReplyDelete
  22. This information is great. I must say that you have superb ability as a copywriter along with additional information. I will tell my pals about your internet site. Keep on publishing. Thanks. Paper Writing Services
    Thesis Paper Writing
    Research Paper Writing
    Letter Writing Services

    ReplyDelete