Monday, March 26, 2012

Air In The Tires

It's Spring time in Vegas! It's been warm and breezy almost every day for two weeks, and I have brushed the cobwebs off my bubbly and bedazzled pink beach cruiser to go for some rides. My favorite thing to do in the afternoon, when the baby is napping and the rest of the family is resting, is to go for a  ride. I usually ride up to the nearest cafe and sit in the sunshine. I write, I read, I blog, I listen to music, I have a sweet drink or treat, and I relax. I adore it!

Well, the last couple days, I was noticing that the ride up the big hill was getting more and more difficult. Either I was eating too much In-N-Out Burger or the bike was the one who gained the weight! Which was more likely? (Don't answer that in the comments)

Turns out...it WAS the bike! Well, sort of. The air in the tires were ridiculously low.

 I hadn't even noticed. I went straight to the gas station and paid one whole dollar (how stupid is that? to pay for air?) to fill the tire back up. And guess what? Today the ride up that hill was so much easier.

That got me thinking about my writing. Lately, I have felt some seriously flat mental tires. I have been revising my manuscript for months. Waiting for critiques. Revising again. Sending to more beta readers. Revising once more. Etc. But recently I have received some feedback from two particularly awesome beta readers/critique partners, and OMG have my tires been filled back up. I wrote for five hours last night and it was one of the funnest, most thrilling writing sessions I've ever had! I was on a roll, cruising if you will. :)

So the gist of this little bike anecdote is: fill those tires up! Whether you are writing, revising, or doing something entirely different, like school or another goal, get some pumping going (in a non-sexual way...or if that works for you, whatever).

Are your tires a little low? If not, what has pumped you up recently?

P.S. I absolutely adored HUNGER GAMES, the movie! In fact, it's almost all I can think about the last few days. I'm infatuated!

17 comments:

  1. Aww I love this! And it's so true. Most of the time we aren't even aware of how flat our mental tires are, so it's always good to check :)

    I'm going to see The Hunger Games tonight. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice! I've been doing this as of late by reading more. Man, it makes a huge difference when I sit down at the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post! My tires are flat, now to figure out how to pump them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go for a bike ride now. I loved HG too. I kinda want to go see it again. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Jessie. I loved this post on so many levels. Not the least of which is imagining you riding your bedazzled pink beach cruiser. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I was one of those awesome crit partners. Or was I the bad air? Ugh. I don't know. I think I need to drive down to Vegas and get some of your mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah, love this metaphor! I didn't drive for a few years and went by bike alone and holy cow do you know when your tires are flat! Amazing what a little air will do--both for bikes and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the metaphor and the reminder to take care of ourselves! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the example for your life. Glad your revisions are going so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, paying for air is such a horrible idea. The place i go donates all the money for air to a charity. (or at least so they say.) So that's where I put my dollar :)

    I had the same pumped up feeling after a recent critique. And I wrote another 7,000 words. Great when that stuff happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so cool. Seriously. How fun is that to ride your bike? Perfect for this time of year. Not so fun to pay a dollar for air. I love how you liken it to writing though. SO TRUE!

    AND... I LOVED the HUNGER GAMES too! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been working on this lately as well. Great analogy. And I have massive bike envy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I fell off my chair laughing when you said, "get some pumping going on." You are too funny :)

    There is nothing quite like the feeling of someone loving your story. And I LOVE your story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha! You're silly. I've been having the hardest time writing lately. It's partly my pregnancy, since I get absolutely exhausted, and sick, but I'm ready to dive in again. Hopefully. And I loved your book. AND the Hunger Games movie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! I'm glad you've been inspired a bit, and got so much work done. That's such an awesome feeling!

    I'm a bit drained lately, and I've been taking a few days to just play with my next book. And to play with my husband and son, and go to movies, and just enjoy life. That always helps put air back in my tires!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad it was a lack of air and not the burgers. :)

    Glad you're feeling inspired and getting lots of writing done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cruiser is what happens when you mix a classical-styled bicycle with a vibrant color pallet Hermosa Beach.


    beach bike

    ReplyDelete