Monday, March 5, 2012

Book Monday: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer


Holy Minolo Blahnik you guys! This book freaked me out so bad, I couldn't sleep well for several nights. I mean, I thought I was seeing someone standing in my door frame in the middle of the night. I thought I was hearing footsteps downstairs. I could have swore I felt a chill sweep through the room (more than once). I had dreams of cracked-in skulls and stolen children.

But this is the thing: I loved it. (In a love-hate kind of way).

Was it too horrifying? Maybe.

Is it ever cool to use Ouija Boards in fiction, or otherwise? Debatable.

Is killing for good reasons okay? Very interesting!

All I know is that I couldn't put it down. Even at 3 a.m. when the sounds in the garage sounded an awful lot like caged souls trying to escape...I kept reading.

Did you read it? Did you like it? And more importantly, was it too dark?

16 comments:

  1. Not yet, but it sounds awesome. I've never read a book that scared me. I really want to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate scary, so I'll be passing on this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way about this book. I had to finish it to find out how it ended. I lost sleep too...and not just because I was up late reading. It hooked me from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read it, but I'm not good with super scary. I used to love that kind of stuff, now I'm too big a wimp. But that cover is one beautiful thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this and liked it until the end. I expected so much more from all the build up. But, yes, very suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds both awesome and terrifying. The real question is... Do I DARE to read it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it and loved it, but I didn't find it creepy. To me, ghosts and demons are creepy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your interview kind of creeps me out. Can I handle reading this book? That wasn't rhetorical. I seriously want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have so wanted to read this for a while. Sigh. Library, when will you have my novel available???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read a few reviews of this book but somehow, the fact that it's scary seems to have passed me by. Just makes me want to read it even more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard a lot of different things about this book, and I do want to read it! I've heard that it's really freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I. Want. This. Me likes freaky, scary books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read it, but boy is it going in my shopping cart NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can not read scary stuff or watch scary movies! If a show is too intense/creepy, I have to stay up to watch something light and funny afterward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't put it down! It was way creepy (and awesome)!!

    ReplyDelete