But how do you do it? Sure, we can all come up with gimmicks or teaser blog titles to get some more traffic. But how do you do it consistently? Here are some ideas I've come up with (through personal experience and watching others):
- Give stuff away. Everyone likes free stuff. It can be something so simple, and you will almost definitely get more traffic. Books, gift cards, beta reads, query critiques, you name it...they will come. :)
- Display hot bodies. I don't know if many of you look at your stats, but all of my posts with bare chested men get blown up!
- Announce big news. I have no special experiences with this (yet:). but I've watched friends announce agent representation, book deals, and even amazon rankings, and the amount of comments they get are through the roof.
- Say or participate in something controversial. For this one I actually do have a "special" experience. If you don't know what I am talking about, here's the elevator pitch: After thirty-something aspiring novelist cancels a pitch session with high-powered New York agent, all hell breaks loose online as feelings are hurt, miscommunications abound, and souls are lost forever. (Just kidding on the souls part. It just sounded more dramatic).
- Participate in blog hops. Again, I have almost no experience with this one. I rarely participate in the hops, memes, and award pass-alongs, even though I know that they are great marketing tools. I should really change that soon.
- Write excellent writing-craft or publishing-insight posts. I know several of my closest blogging friends that do really well offering exceptional advice on writing and the industry. Those are the ones I bookmark and revisit.
Oh hell, here ya go:
Any other ideas on creating popular blog posts? What was your most popular blog post?