Friday, May 18, 2012

B is for Bizarre

For the last several months I have been experiencing a strange phenomenon. It could be in my head, it could be an actual "thing," but it's most definitely bizarre.

It's the number 11.


I'm not kidding people. I'll be sitting in bed late at night and glance at my nightstand: 11:11. I'll wake up in the night to grab a drink of water: 1:11. I'll be driving in my car and turn the station: 1:11.

Now it doesn't happen exactly like this everyday. Most days the number 11 is just mixed in with other numbers, and not just on clocks. Like a few weeks ago, the mileage of my car was on 111,150. And then the balance on my Target gift card was $11.12. When the gas stops pumping, the amount owed ends with 11 cents. Creepy right?

I always thought that my lucky number was 11. I was born on September 11 (not so lucky anymore), and my only sister was born on March 11 (the day the tsunami hit in Japan last year, again not so lucky).

So I did some research. Apparently, in numerology (which I know nothing about), the number 11 is a "master number" and perhaps the most powerful number. People seeing it regularly is not rare. This is one theory of what it means:

The visual design of the 11 is symbolic of a heaven to earth conduit, receiving inspiration from a higher source. It could be possible that the 11 is a reminder that you're on the right path or maybe it's warning you to get back on the right path.

Ohh....kay!

Let's bring this bizare-ness full circle in regards to writing. I am in the throes of the submission process with my YA manuscript. I have queries, partials and fulls out with agents as I speak (or write). And it's making me a little crazy!!!

So the moral to the 11 story is: Jessie is a new B-Word: Bizarre. Breaking news, right?

Do you see any repetitive numbers in your life? Are you feeling crazy in the throes of submission too?

17 comments:

  1. Wow. I feel weird about this Jessie. Numbers freak me out. So now will be leaving your post. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... that's freaky! Hope number 11 is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Talk about over analyzing. Then again, if I were seeing 11's everywhere, I'd want to know what it means too.

    You're handling submissions like a pro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always find the most "interesting" things to blog about, Jessie.

    No, I do not see repetitive numbers, but then, I'm not exactly looking for them either. Maybe I should pay more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just glad you made it past your 11th year! Otherwise I'd be even more worried.

    You wanna know what number I notice a lot? Sure you do. 11:24. My birthday is Nov 24th and for some reason I happen to look up at the clock all the time when it's 11:24 a.m. or p.m. Makes me feel a little freaky too, like there's something I'm supposed to be doing that I'm forgetting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird! I frequently notice the clock when the numbers are all the same. Very bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom is crazy when it comes to numbers. She's always paying attention to stuff like that.

    SOOO cool that you have stuff out there being read. I'm still sitting in the rejection with no request stage. Good luck on all your requests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is freaky but in a really cool, kind of haunting way. I hope it means you're about to land SuperAgent 3000. No numbers repeating in my life. I did have a period of time where there were a lot of 8s but that's over now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe 11 is telling you to make 11 submissions and the 11th one will be gold! Wouldn't that be sheer awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny :-D

    I'm in the middle of contract negotiations, but no elevens have come up... yet...

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way, that's kinda cool! And definitely bizarre. Hopefully the 11-ness works in your favor with those submissions!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on all the submissions!!! Good luck with those.

    Bizarre is good... right? haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...I can't get How Bizarre out of my head now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I just noticed your new banner! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband always sees 11:11 and points it out to me. My mom kept finding dimes everywhere and was sure it meant something. But I never notice stuff like that. Boring. I'd rather be bizarre. Good luck with querying hell. :) For reals, crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting! This happens to me with some frequency, and more often to my husband, who, like Ruth's, likes to point it out. I always wondered about what it may mean - thanks for doing the research!

    And congratulations on the submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As soon as I read your comment on my blog I hopped over searching for this post. It's funny because after 11/11/11 I felt like I was being haunted by it. Every time I looked at a clock I felt like it was 11:11 or 1:11. I love how it is a sign that you're on the right path. It's comforting and now that I look back I honestly believe it. Thanks for directing me here :)

    ReplyDelete