A smile. An encouraging word. A thoughtful gesture.
Each day people interact with us, help, and make our day a bit brighter and full. This is especially true in the Writing Community.
Take a second to think about writers you know, like the critique partner who works with you to improve your manuscript. The writing friend who listens, supports and keeps you strong when times are tough. The author who generously offers council, advice and inspiration when asked.
So many people take the time to make us feel special, don't they? They comment on our blogs, re-tweet our posts, chat with us on forums and wish us Happy Birthday on Facebook.
To commemorate the release of their book The Emotion Thesaurus, Becca and Angela at The Bookshelf Muse are hosting a TITANIC Random Act Of Kindness BLITZ. And because I think KINDNESS is contagious, I'm participating too!
I have decided to BLITZ someone so EPIC that I am putting myself at risk of becoming redundant, since this person has touched the lives of so many in our writing community. But let's make this interesting. Let's see if you can guess who my BLITZee is by the following bullet point descriptors:
(Try really hard not to scroll down...I am watching you!)
- She's honest, candid, and generous to her thousands of followers
- She loves bacon
- She's tenacious, and driven- nothing can stop this chick
- She's a debut author (sort of...since she also has an e-book that EVERY aspiring writer should read)
- She's been on the scene for years at writing conferences--as an attendee, a presenter, a volunteer, and co-organizer of one super rad on-line conference.
- She's fiercely loyal and protective of her friends and colleagues
- She's got a softer heart than the rebel blue streak in her hair makes her look
- She must be working on 4 hours of a sleep a night because she has some serious balls in the air (like a juggler, but not a male juggler ;). Get your head out the gutter people!
- She is my hero. Or heroine, I should say.
Drum roll, please.......
It's Elana Johnson
I know that I am not alone in my adoration of Elana, but I wanted to very specifically thank her for all her hard work at the Storymakers conference last week. She went out of her way to help and support me in what I am now calling, "The Agent-Pitch Debacle of 2012." :). Thanks Elana!
So in appreciation of all Elana does, I hereby bestow upon her a Fandango (movie) gift card. (Which will be emailed shortly).
Do you know someone special that you'd like to randomly acknowledge? Don't be shy--come join us and celebrate! Send them an email, give them a shout out, or show your appreciation in another way. Kindness makes the world go round. :)
Becca and Angela have a special RAOK gift waiting for you as well, so hop on over to to pick it up.
Have you ever participated in or been the recipient of a Random Act Of Kindness? Let me know in the comments!