Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Silly Jessie

Remember my last post where I admitted to offending, spooning and rubbing up against (not shoulders) various conference attendees at the Storymakers Conference? Well, guess which one of those actions got me into a little hot water as of yesterday?

No, it wasn't the spooning, or rubbing! Although I'm sure the sexual harassment lawsuits will start rolling in anytime.

It was the opening of my mouth, and the insertion of my foot...as usual.


Here's the long and short of it: (yes in bullet points...and I promise my novel isn't written in bullet points)

  • B-Word goes to conference (LDStorymakers, best conference of all time btw)
  • B-Word talks to Uber-Agent over dinner (and not just about how sexy Uber-Agent's legs are :).
  • B-Word perceives Uber-Agent is annoyed/offended/angry (not even by the sexy-legs-comment)
  • B-Word switches pitch sessions, gets full request by second mega-agent (serendipity, right?)
  • B-Word is confronted by Uber-Agent for canceling (serendipity, wrong.)
  • B-Word apologizes (profusely)
  • Uber-Agent perceives cancellation of pitch as an act of nervousness or fear
  • Uber-Agent writes post on blog about "The Sad Tale of Jessie"
  • All Hell breaks loose in the comments (my personal favorite was "Stupid, stupid, Jessie!")
  • Uber-Agent, B-Word, various friends, cohorts, and other interested parties started emailing, facebook messaging, tweeting, texting, and sending letters by owl...
  • Uber-Agent apologizes (twice :)
  • B-Word accepts apology and appreciates the latest email from Uber-Agent which simply says: "Jessie the Bestseller-to-Be?"
So, like so many of my novel stories, this is a happy ending folks. But let's be honest, I could have saved myself a little humiliation, heartache, shock, and dismay by having a thicker skin, by being a little braver. In fact, that will be my new b-word: Jessie the Brave! 

Thanks to everyone who had my back. I won't forget it. And I owe you a good spooning!

Now I just have to polish the H out of my manuscript! Because in the end, it's the writing that matters.

27 comments:

  1. Jessie the Brave sounds great! Love the bullet points. Could totally see you as next bestseller. Good luck. And I agree, Storymakers is the BEST conference ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just saw all that on Twitter this morning! Crazy story -- basically, you have to get an agent now. Otherwise, whatever agent you get later is going to have serious "how we met" envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are incredible. I like Jessie the Brave and I KNOW you are going to sign and sell and be even more amazing, if that is at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea this happened. I would have been totally mortified! At least it worked out in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a crazy story! Glad it all worked out in the end and you got a full manuscript request. Love your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those little ironies of life! One of those we'll-laugh-when-we-look-back-on-this stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh, for real? How did I miss more of the drama?

    I'm glad it's all mended itself in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you, Jessie. In a million ways, I love you.

    (Plus, that's pretty limber of you to be able to put your foot in your mouth while standing. Seriously impressed here.)

    (And you've always been Jessie the Brave. Glad it's official now.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy!! I probably would have done the same thing you did. I don't have thick skin. SO glad it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one is perfect. At least uber agent now knows who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay! I'm emailing you right now. I need to know details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about a crazy situation but you handled it like a pro. I became a Jessie fan about 60 seconds after Erin and I picked you up from the airport. And after the conference and all this, I'm a mega Jessie fan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, if your going to live, live big. Sounds like a crazy situation but it also sounds like it's worked itself out. Good luck Jessie The Brave. Though a link to Uber-agents blog to see it all would have been Uber cool. Now I'm going to have to go trolling the internet for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa I definitely missed this drama! I'm glad things worked out with you in the end though.

    Jessie the Brave sounds fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know there was more to this story!! I need details! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. You definitely are Jessie the Brave! I'm impressed you are still sending your ms to uber agent since I'm not sure I'd want to work with her after this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry you had to go through that. Glad it got worked out. But I'm surprised it went all over the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You handled it all like a champ, Jessie. :) You=awesome

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man. Wow. I would have done what you did. Glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm going to pretend I didn't just Google that because I felt left out. (Especially with all the spooning going on!) Wow. Glad things worked out, Jessie the Brave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, sorry to hear that happened. Glad it had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  22. misunderstanding is the seed of bitter drama fruit!
    glad all is calm again =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, having just briefly met you at this conference (I was with Ruth, Chantele, Katie and Jeigh) and knowing the full story I think you did the right thing. However, now that the air has been properly cleared, yay for you! You basically got to pitch to two agents and you are definitely on Uber-Agent's radar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are brave and awesome! I love the other b-word too: Bestseller. Which you no doubt will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You handled this so well, and Michelle will never forget you now! :P I'm rooting for you to get that offer soon after you submit your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jess-
    Who would have imagined it would turn out so great?! I can honestly say that this happening was the best thing for you. You are certainly the one person that Michelle will remember from LDStorymakers--exactly what we dream for! But I swear, if she didn't remember you for this it would have been because you were the most gorgeous person there.

    Yay Jessie the Brave!

    ReplyDelete