Friday, June 15, 2012

Never Surrender Blogfest



















Oh heck yes! I'm totally a never surrender kind of girl for sure. You tell me I can't do something...just makes me want to do it more. That's why I know I am screwed with my daughters...Karma is a B-Word!

Anyway, in honor of Elana Johnson's release of her new book Surrender, (sequel novel to Posession), I am participating in the Never Surrender Blogfest. It is going to be epic.

All I have to do is blog about a time in my life when I didn't surrender. Easy peasy right?

Somewhere along the way in my youth, I developed a fascination with France. I took French in high school, I put a French flag sticker on my snowboard, I watched French movies, ate French food...you get the gist.

In college my obsession didn't falter. In fact, it got worse when my best friend was also equally determined to go there one day. We planned and we schemed, we saved money and looked at flights. We were both on the tennis team at our University, and so we decided we would go play some professional tennis tournaments in France. Not only would it help fund the trip, but it would take us all around the country. It was the best idea ever!

Then I told my dad about my plan. And guess what his response was?

"Over my dead body."

Needless to say, I didn't get to go. My best friend sent me postcards from every little town in France along the way. Instead I spent the summer teaching tennis to kids in 100 degree Las Vegas weather. I was pissed. But I never let go of my desire to go. It was still burning inside me (or melting from the Vegas heat).

Fast forward a few years later, I was still working on my dad to let me go. It was my biggest dream--and you don't let go of your biggest dreams.

Then I decided to go on a mission for my church. They could send me anywhere in the world, and I would blindly go. Siberia, South America, who knew?

Imagine the smug look on my face when I opened my mission call in front of my dad and it read France! He had to let me go now :)

I never surrendered! Vive La France! It was one of the best 18 months of my life!

20 comments:

  1. Aww, it must have been so disappointing not to be able to go to France with your friend. I'm glad you got there in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Love it. I wish I could have seen your dad's face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best. Story. EVER! I didn't know you went to France on your mission? That's awesome! I bet you and your dad had a good laugh! Well, you did I bet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME story! Glad you got to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an awesome story. I can't believe how you held onto that dream and life helped you follow your dream after you thought of a worthy way to make it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! This is awesome Jessie! I love it! Your dad sounds just like my dad. He wouldn't even let me drive to St. George by myself, let alone visit another country! haha! So glad you lived your dream though! Life has a funny way of working things out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great story! You must have been the best Frenchy missionary every! And if you ever want to come teach lessons in only 90ish degree weather in WA's desert, I could use some tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know you went on a mission! So stinkin' cool. And that is really amazing that you got to go where you wanted. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool, Jessie. I, too, didn't know you went on a mission. Wow, I bet you drove all the Elders crazy with your hotness. Poor things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My little one (ironically named Francesca) is currently obsessed with France. She wears a beret, everywhere we go, started her own little collection of Eiffel Towers and makes me buy her croissants, by the crap ton. I admit to indulging her in it, because, honestly, there are worse things, she could be attached to! And if I could have my pick of mission fields, holy crow France would have been it!! Wait until I tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I love that. :)I'm glad you finally got to go. I took French in high school and college and always wanted to go to France. One day, I'll make it there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh I've seen entries for this blogfest everywhere this week! I've read some really incredible "never surrender" personal stories, including this one! So glad you were able to finally go to France - I've never been, but when I was a baby my sister got to go with my parents. Even though I was only 2 years old, I'm sure my baby-self was super jealous, anyhow :P

    By the way, I wanted to let you know that I'm hosting an awesome blogfest and critique giveaway at my blog from June 22-24 that you should totally come participate in if you're interested! :) Hope you have a great day.

    ~Wendy Lu

    The Roarin' Twenties Poetry Blogfest + Chapter Critique Giveaway (hosted by The Red Angel)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an inspirational story. I am with you on never surrendering. If you tell me I cannot do it, then I will find a way. Perhaps it is the lawyer/mom in me. I loved your story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this story! I'm so glad you never gave up. And yes karma Dad, it gets you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. web designers in uk
    Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world i am really impress your work Stay Blessings On your Work...God Bless You.
    web designers in bradford
    used bikes in london

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great story! I guess you showed him! Haha! And I so want to go to France. I love to travel, and I want to take years off of life and do just that. Maybe one day when I'm rich... ;)

    ReplyDelete