Monday, August 20, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Colbie Caillat

This past weekend, Mr. Humphries and I went to the Colbie Caillat & Gavin DeGraw concert at the Mandalay Bay Beach in Las Vegas.


Not only was it an awesome night away from the kids, but the music was amazing, the sand felt good on the toes, and the refreshing waves washed all my stresses away. Just what I needed.



After the concert, I started researching Colbie Caillat a little more. Turns out that the girl auditioned for American Idol twice and didn't even make it to the judge part of the process. Hello! This is the amazingly talented, completely gorgeous Colbie Caillat! How did the preliminary judges overlook her talent?

To her credit, she is grateful for being rejected from American Idol. She admitted she wasn't ready for it. That she needed more time to develop her voice, her look, her stage presence, and her confidence in who she wanted to be. Not long after, she found herself on tour with John Mayer, The Goo Goo Dolls, and Lifehouse. She won a Grammy for her duet "Lucky" with Jason Mraz. Then she was also part of the Taylor Swift team who won another Grammy for her song writing and back up vocals for the "Fearless" record.

As a writer, this story got me all sorts of inspired. It's okay to not be ready. It's okay to keep developing our voice, our knowledge, our confidence. Good things come to those who work hard and don't give up.

Just sayin'.

20 comments:

  1. Excellent point, Jessie! I'm glad you had fun. :)

    P.S. Cute pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been out of it too Jess! I'm trying to get around to blogs again. The concert sounds like so much fun, but I especially love the inspiration of Colbie Caillat! That's awesome. I'd never heard that before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this kind of inspiration. And good for Colbie. Her career is better for not getting on that show.(I won't jump on my soapbox about this type of show.)

    And yes, developing your writer's voice is so important and being patient can be hard but will totally pay off in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. must be nice to have the strip at your door to go see big names, whenever!

    you two make a gorgeous couple, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One: That is a super cute outfit.

    Two: You and your husband are a great looking couple!

    Three: I love Colbie's story and her music. I really cannot imagine what it would have been like if she DID make American Idol. Who knows? I probably wouldn't like her music as much :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great attitude, Jessie! This is a wonderful story. We have to believe in ourselves and keep trying until we get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this post. and you two are super cute. Glad you were able to get away with just the husband, fun fun !

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! How often do we think that if we fail at our first attempt, it's the final answer? We just need to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is inspiring. And it's awesome your husband and you went out on a fun date. I need to do that one of these days with my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a totally inspiring story! And so writer-relatable.

    (But only a so-so reason for ditching us. ;))

    You and your hubby are adorable! I think you should've taken your pictures like the ones you had there of Colbie and Gavin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great pic! Sounds like you had fun...and got inspired. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I didn't know she auditioned for AI. And I absolutely love Colbie Caillat! How fun for you and your hubby to attend her concert!

    Her story is inspiring. Goes to show there's not only one way but that there are many paths to success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love her and had no idea she had struggled so much. She really is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I just love the craziness of Vegas! Glad you and hubby had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amen, sister! Love this post. It is so, so absolutely true. Also, I'm positively dripping with jealousy that you saw them in concert. Love them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. It's so true. I've been really having a hard time fighting that internal battle but I just keep telling myself that with hard work I'll get there in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely true! Honing a craft takes time and practice. Nice pic! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, that is a really, really cool story. Not only the idea that sometimes you just need to mature and practice and discover who you are as an artist, but that her path would have been totally different if she had gotten on American Idol. Sometimes what seems like the biggest disappointment is really the biggest blessing of all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Plus her dad is a big time producer (Fleetwood Mack Rumours. There's a good list of AI rejects that have done well. Like the girl who played Mercedes on Glee and the Hillary Scott from Lady Antebellum

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is inspiring! And you and your hubby look so cute :)

    ReplyDelete