Monday, August 27, 2012

Inspiration Monday: Writing Friends

I'm not much of an "internet-oversharer" when it comes to my writing successes or failures. I like to keep the details close the vest.

But this past week has been especially grueling in terms of my writing.  I have received some "Revise & Resend" requests from different agents with very specific advice. I have been seriously agonizing over the different suggestions. Oh yeah, I've gone through the cycle:

  1. denial- "pfshhh...I don't need to do that!"
  2. anger- "what can I punch without breaking it or my hand?"
  3. bargaining- "what if I just do this?"
  4. depression- "I can't do this anymore..."
  5. acceptance- "Okay, I need to get started...again." 

Actually, I've gone through that cycle more than once. Maybe even once a day, I don't know. Now I'm oversharing! Great.

Okay, what I am trying to say is that just when I was writing my "I QUIT" emails to my writing partners, things really took a turn for the best. They were there to pick me up, give me solutions to my plot problems, and give me the kick in the pants I needed. 

So thank you Emily King, you are a freakin' genius!

And thank you Peggy Eddleman, you are always there! 

And thank you Erin Summerill for saying you'd quit with me! Haha, we could become professional paparazzi together and make way more money! :)

Have you ever wanted to quit this writing game only to have your friends come to your rescue? 

23 comments:

  1. This has happened to me more times than I care to admit! Friends - especially writer friends - are the best people in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, hon. I'm so glad I could help. You are an AMAZING writer. I forbid you to quit. No way. No how. You're a writer for life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, see, writing buddies are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly I want to say that revise & resend sounds positive - better than an outright rejection, and showing that they see promise and want more! Must be frustrating and difficult though, and we all feel that way at times! Glad you had people pick you up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think about quitting at least once a day.

    Hooray for events taking a turn for the better. Whoot!

    Besides, you can do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there, but glad I stuck it out. And I'm glad you are too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that I'm not the only one going through those phases...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Writers can be the most awesomely positive people. Think we have all had varying degrees of these feelings so take heart, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, those days are the worst. I was totally having one a lot like that yesterday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely! I keep an assortment of soft things on my desk, just so I can throw them across the room. ;)

    P.S. Feel free to vent to me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Friends are awesome :)

    Keep Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It helps you remember why you started this writing game in the first place.
    You're obviously on the right track if they are suggesting specifics.
    I'm now waiting for the "Yippee" pot ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I've wanted to quit many times. And gone through all the cycles you mention. I'm finally getting over being stubborn about big changes. Awesome that you're at least getting responses from agents. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah! That's part of it unfortunately. For me though writing is a bit like having a child. It can be SO INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING at times and you absolutely want to chuck it out the window (the writing, not the child). But then there are these simply wonderful moments and you could NEVER imagine your life withour it.

    Keep up the hard work :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, you have some awesome writing friends there!

    I've wanted to quite on a certain MS, not necessarily writing itself. But my CPs wouldn't let me and now its the one getting published. Haha. So good for you. Keep going Jess! You're all over this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know where writers would be without writer friends. Probably not published. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emily is one of my favorite too :) And I agree you can't quit!!! The world need to see Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I suspect we all think about quitting ever so often. I usually pull myself up and keep going. Cliche as it is, I have a "Keep Calm and Carry On" sign on my wall ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really wonder sometimes if all this time & effort, heart & soul, are worth it. i have never received requests for anything. am i too cliche? we'll see what happens when i hit bottom...

    very happy you found your drive again =)
    and those are awesome friends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are almost there, girl! I'm glad everything took a turn for the best, because you can't quit. There's a ton of us here that just wouldn't let you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this post! It's so nice to have writer friends who "get it." Who can talk you off the ledge or rejoice with you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hear you with the revision requests. I recently had to go through all that as well. I even wrote a blog post about it (great minds) hehe.
    http://lyndaryoung.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/5-stages-of-editing-grief.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank heavens for good writing buddies--they've kept me from throwing it all in far too many times! I swear, I don't know how writers do it without some kind of support system.

    ReplyDelete