Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Writing Comfort Zones

The universe doesn't want me to blog! Seriously. I wrote a post last week to have it disappear at the moment I pushed "publish." And my internet went out yesterday and I couldn't post what I patiently prepared...AGAIN. Oh well. Let's see if this one will post:

Normally, I shy away from memes and contests. It really requires some good ol' "putting yourself out there." But I am no wallflower in real life, so I shouldn't be in the blog/writing world either. 

Right? Right. 

So today I am doing both. I am going WAY out of my writing comfort zone! 

I entered the Gearing Up to Get An Agent (GUTGAA) Pitch contest last week. Deana Barnhart has really put on a great month of interaction with writers, bloggers, agents, small publishers, etc. It has been really fun to participate. This week is the agent round and I am lucky enough to have made it through. Then Tara Tyler tagged me on a fun writing meme (thanks Tara)...and I thought, "why not press the boundaries of my writing comfort zone again?" So here we go. 

What is the working title of your book?
A.K.A. KILLER

Where did the idea come from?
The idea came from a couple of different places, but the one I will talk about this time is when I re-read the Jaycee Dugard story in a magazine. This was the real life case where a low-life scumbag kidnapped 11 year old Jaycee as she walked to her school bus, and put her through unimaginable torture for 18 years. The story made me sick and I wished I could have been there to save her. I wished that the justice system would have worked for her, as time and time again this particular scumbag slipped through the gaps of justice and parole systems. I thought about vigilanteism and what I would do to that guy if he ever did that to my daughter. I think we've all have those scary thoughts. My scary thoughts  turned into a book.

What genre does your book fall under?
Contemporary Young Adult Thriller. I compare it to DEXTER meets VERONICA MARS or HEIST SOCIETY. 

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie?
I don't know...this is tough. I think someone like Jennifer Lawrence for my MC Ruby Rose. Liam Hemsworth for Liam Slater (who is a mix of Liam Hemsworth and Kelly Slater the championship surfer). I wish we could post pictures here!!!! But I don't want to get sued ;(

What is the one sentence synopsis of your book? 
In sunny Southern California, seventeen-year-old Ruby Rose is known for her killer looks, her killer SAT scores, and even her killer taste in shoes—but only her victims will know how killer she really is.    


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? 
Hoping for an agent.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? 
About five months.

Who or what inspired you to write this book? 
Agent Sara Crowe talked about an exciting thriller she was in the process of pitching to publishers. I immediately abandoned the paranormal romance I was working on and started writing my thriller. I was excited to write about something I know: the law. Although I don't currently practice criminal law as an attorney, I hope to do so one day when my babies are grown.

What else about your book would pique the reader's interest? 
For me, the ultimate piquing of interest is steam! Romantic steam. Sexual tension. A good breath taking kiss. Romance has to be in there for sure! Let's just say there is a nice helping of that. :). I have a particular affinity for the "David V"...does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I hereby pass this on to these extraordinary people to tell us about their WIPs!


Tasha Seegmiller

Leigh Covington

Taffy Lovell

21 comments:

  1. You know I loved your book! :D Seriously. Loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read it!! I hope you find an agent soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds brilliant! Good luck with the GUTAA contest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David V? I'm pretty sure I have no idea what you're talking about. And can I just say that your one line pitch is my favorite EVER? Seriously good stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting ever so patiently for you to tell me an agent loved your rewrite and signed you.

    GET ON IT! :D

    You rock, Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to get out of your blogger comfort zone. I would so read this, and it sounds like it would have a lot of the same flavor as Erin's stuff, so you've already got a fan if that's the case (who am I kidding - I'm already your fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dexter meets Veronica Mars. Intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait for an agent to snatch you up. I want this book out now! Seriously. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so excited for you! and that book sounds steamy, crazy exciting! glad you opened up! worth it, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with GUTGAA!! I hope somebody picks up your awesome book. :) Loved reading some of this "behind the scenes" stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your book sounds fantastic! I want to read it.

    My WIP also has female vigilantes, but it's set in the late 80s :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thrilled at how many of my friends have had success with GUTGAA! Thanks for tagging :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy crap Jessie - I want to read this!!! It sounds so extremely amazing, and an excellent idea for a book. I totally understand where this idea would come from cause if someone ever messed with my babies... well - you know. And thanks for the tag! I'm all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with ya, I totally need some romance in my books! I can't wait to read this one someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, for putting yourself out there as a writer! And I have no clue what a David V is but now I want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A.K.A Killer is an awesome title! And you are awesome, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck with GUTGAA - and with your recalcitrant blog! I love the premise of your book, by the way. Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete