Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Inspiration: Why I Write


I firmly believe we all need a creative outlet in life. Some people are lucky and find themselves in a career that is naturally creative: designers, performers, artists, etc. Everyday, they get to dig in to that place where there is passion, energy, and inspiration.

I chose to be an attorney. Not. Very. Creative.

Of course, it really depends on what kind of attorney you are. Entertainment law might have more opportunities for imagination. Or even criminal law may require bouts of thinking outside the box and performing in front of a jury. Well, I don’t practice in these areas. I do Wills, Trusts, Probate, Divorces, Child Custody and Adoption. And while I feel that my "day job" can be very “rewarding,” I would never call it “creative” per se.

So I chose to WRITE in the wee morning hours. I could have chosen to PAINT, to learn the GUITAR, dive into SCRAP BOOKING, or try some COOKING. But I didn’t. I chose to create other worlds, new characters, and extraordinary conflicts. And I found my passion, my energy, my inspiration.

Through the solitude, rejection, frustration, and self-doubt associated with writing, the excitement of “what could be” has never left me. I feel like with writing, the sky is the limit! I can go anywhere or do anything in my fiction. And maybe, just maybe, someone will like what I’ve written. And maybe, just maybe I could get paid for what I’ve invested and bless my family's lives. And maybe, just maybe, I will have left a mark on this world for good.

Kind of like this song, "I Was Here," by Lady Antebellum:


Why do you write? And if you don’t write, what do you do to find your passion for life?

20 comments:

  1. Would you believe it if I told you I considered animation and culinary arts before writing? Yeah ... something made me change my mind, and I love it. Can't imagine doing anything else (nor am I good at anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was/am an attorney too. Except I practiced project and asset finance which sometimes let me be creative with the ways I structured financing...not quite the same thing but I did enjoy figuring out a fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this post was going to be about me. Whatever. It's cool. So I'm not the reason you choose to write. Whatever, I'm not bugged or pissed or angry or harboring a grudge or making voodoo doll.

    No. I'm not doing any of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dropped a 22 year career to write. I still get people asking me if at 48 I'm enjoying retirement. I silently slap a hand to my forehead and patiently respond I have switched careers.

    I could have pursued singing or guitar except for my deep aversion to being booed off a stage. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. All of it. Well, except the attorney part. When I was serving my term as what my mom called the President of the Major of the Month club, I really did think about paralegal for a while though, so it's kind of like I'm an attorney. I argue with teens all day and persuade them I'm right. But the creative part, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. erin, ha!

    writing fits right in to my subbing schedule. it started in my spare time and grew into a passion, like an arranged marriage...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so true, everyone one needs an outlet. for my son it's drawing, my sister poetry, and for me writing. Can't imagine ever giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm one of those creative people, a designer, and when the economy went south, so did my business and the opportunity to be creative. So I turned to writing. And I must say, I love it even more than design work. Now I'm an editor, too, which means I help others write when I'm not doing it myself. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, Jessie! :) My background is in marketing, but not all of it has been creative work, i.e. I worked at an engineering firm for a while. Writing has been a great outlet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to be creative or I feel like I will die :) Dramatic? Yes, a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do get to be creative in my day job and I also play guitar. Writing just became another outlet. And I started writing because I didn't see the story I wanted to read anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oddly enough, I've considered law school. I don't really think it's for me but that's another story...

    I write it keeps me sane. Seriously. If I kept all of my thoughts to myself I might go crazy :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Lady A!

    This is so well expressed, I feel the same way! What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. changing the world for better in bigger or smaller way, sometimes more and sometimes less noticed, is the reason why most of us are here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always written - it feels like it's what I was meant to do. I've taken a few art classes etc because I would like to find an additional creative outlet - okay, I really just want another excuse to make a real world mess instead of the usual mess in my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I write to make sense of my world--all the things I don't understand somehow end up in my fiction. It's an exploration for me. Very cathartic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used to have a creative career but I dropped it because I don't like on the spot creativity. Weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I write for me. I let that slip a little in the past two years, but now I'm back on track. It's what I love, so I do it. Plain and simple. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I write because the voices in my head tell me too.

    Is that weird? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I write because God is calling me to do so. I try my best to be the BEST writer I can but right now, I'm going through a writer's block so it's been really tough for me to write.

    I want to fulfill my dream one of these days! I believe in myself. And I have the great online writing community supporting and encouraging me along the way so that helps to shoot for the stars! :)

    Great post!

    And the song is perfect to this topic!

    ReplyDelete