Monday, January 14, 2013

Push Yourself

We all have talents. Abilities. Gifts.

Some of us were born with these traits, and some of us have to work extremely hard to develop them. Some of us have to...'ah, push it, push it real good!" I just love using Salt N Peppa lyrics to illustrate my points! :).

As a youth, I found the things that came most naturally to me were sports. Not music. Not dance. I was in dance for six years and I could never once do the splits! Seriously. But when I picked up a tennis racket things came very easy to me. I can still remember the first lesson I ever took and the coach couldn't believe that I hadn't been playing for years. It made me feel so good. And after that, I thrived on tennis. I progressed. I got stronger. I devoted my life to developing my natural talent. And it took me places.

Now that I am an all-washed up middle-aged mom of four, who dabbles in the practice of law (and laundry)...what talent am I developing now? What am I thriving on now? I haven't played tennis in years.

Well, I'm writing. And while I find that it didn't come as naturally to me as tennis or other sports, I'm most definitely thriving on it. I am progressing at it. I am becoming a stronger story teller every day. I am devoting my life to developing what natural talent I have and pushing myself to improve on the things that don't come easily for me.

I think it's important for all of us to continue developing our talents. And maybe not just one at a time. We can have creative muscles we work on while at the same time flexing some of our physical muscles. For example, me and my CP Erin Summerill are going to run a half-marathon in 3 weeks.

Are you pushing yourself to develop your talents?

15 comments:

  1. I think it's possible for anyone to develop a talent. It depends on whether or not they're willing to work on developing said talent.

    I think even naturals can always use improvement. I have always been a good singer, but my voice now is light years ahead of what it was before I had a vocal coach.

    Thanks for the reminder. Every day I'm pushing myself to develop my writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I have so many Tennis questions for you. I have an MC who plays Tennis (like a world class player) but I'm having a hard time getting into his head. I don't want to bore you here so I'll email you.

    Back to the post, I think we can fall in danger of getting too complacent and then our writing goes nowhere. Pushing is what brings us to bestseller status :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys rock! I'm so impressed! Right now, I'm taking an awesome Photoshop class. I love playing with graphics and have owned Photoshop for years, but had never once gone into it. I'm learning from the pro, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your half marathon. That's awesome! And I agree about continuing to develop talents. Push it real good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try my best to push myself in writing--it's something I need to focus on more this year. Good luck in the half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post!

    I like your point that things come more naturally to some than others. I remember growing up, me and my brother were both exceptional on the piano. But I had much more natural ability. Music made sense to me. I "got" it. And it came quick and easy to my fingers. For my brother, on the other hand, he had to work for it. But he was a work horse! Although I didn't have to practice as much, I had to watch myself to make sure he didn't pass me up by sheer force of will! (I would never have lived THAT down! Lil brother passing up big sis? NEVA!)

    Anyway, I guess its just good to recognize where your talents are and try to develop and excel at them. But at the same time, know that, if you put your mind to it, even the hard things can become easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tennis is definitely NOT one of my talents. i actually have a tennis horror story that involves my husband and embarrassing tears. But I have other talents, and am working on those. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck in the marathon. How awesome that your CP is doing it with you. I'm trying to push myself to be a better writer. I hope it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great message! I'm the creative sort so I love to, well, create! When my design biz all but dried up, I turned to creating in the kitchen, but that only worked for so long. that's when I switched to writing. But though I have a knack for it, some inherent talent, I know it's something I will always have to work on, too, to push harder to get better. A marathon though, now that's something I could never do. Ever. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok -- I'm getting a little emotional reading. Apparently, it was something I needed to hear today. Love your message and totally agree. And miss you girl! Hopefully I'll see you at LTUE for the one day I'm there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm doing okay with my talents. I don't know if I'm pushing as hard as I could, but I'm at least trying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But pushing myself is a lot of work! I'm so lazy and whiny and self-conscious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. well, the more i practice my writing, the more i am able to make a story flow without to much stop and go. any talent really needs to be constantly practiced or we tend to lose it. great post jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get this. I totally get this. And yes, I do think I'm pushing myself the best I can... I've had to WORK for writing--and it's made it so much more worth it than the things that have come naturally to me. Fabulous post, Jessie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Running is tremendous. I'm a big believer in exercise, sports, and movement. They add so much quality to your life.

    ReplyDelete