Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Key to Submitting Your Work

Yes, it might feel like this when you press Send to submit your work. Whether you are sending your query to a friend to critique, a full manuscript to an agent for consideration, or your revisions to an editor for publication...you are putting yourself at risk. You have swam past the breaking waves and now you are swimming with the sharks! You're heart is racing, you start to panic, your legs are tired, the soundtrack from Jaws is playing in your head...you're thinking about giving up. Drowning would be better than being eaten alive, right?!

Okay, I might be acting a little dramatic here. Or not. Seriously, this writing thing is hard work. And not for the faint of heart. We have to be BRAVE! We have to be FEARLESS. Or at least work really hard at denying our fears. We have to be CRAZY to swim out there in shark infested waters!

But we do it. And we will keep doing it. And it will all be worth it! Who are you in the process of submitting your work to?

16 comments:

  1. I'm editing and hoping to start submitting by the end of March. It is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the drafting process again. I'm almost finished so I'm getting butterflies about sending it off to betas. Almost time to put my armor on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've submitted what I have to a one special girl in a book tour today who had been giving me such good advice and tidbits! Makes it easier....for sure when they don't just give negative but tell you the good spots on your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I love the picture! I am in the process of submitting my work to a hopeful mind who isn't at all afraid of this edit letter. Nope. Not afraid at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that picture of one of your sweet little muffin heads?

    It's a good analogy for how it feels. Every time I send out an article query I have that "just do it" feeling for like an hour or a couple of days before I actually, well, do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, Julie...that is one of my sweet little muffin heads! We were at the beach all weekend and we both thought this photo was fun! I don't think I have ever posted a picture of my kids on my blog before. But I couldn't resist.

      Delete
  6. I'm researching agents slowly as I move closer to being brave and querying. Soon I will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brave. Fearless. Crazy. Yep, sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm revising, but I can already hear the Jaws soundtrack playing when I think about submitting my work :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto Ilima! And I've been waiting for a few months on several agents to read my stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the danger and the adrenaline. Yeah, I'm masochistic, but hey, I've lived through it thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the crappiest thing about sending a query is the painstaking measures, the editing so it sounds perfect, the rereading it over and over to get it right, the sweating over the BIO and pages that might accompany it... so when i've had enough, its as good as i can make it, i press send knowing it will most likely be rejected if it gets read at all! that thought and moving on right away takes the fear out of my equation, drop it and run!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've finally begun submitting one MS to small presses, though I have a few pages out with a couple of agents. I'm hoping to start submitting my next revised MS in February. Looking forward to Angry Robot's open submissions in April!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have two publishers that I've really liked working with (so far) and my agent just sent out a MS to both...
    I thought it would never be less scary, but I honestly don't think about it like I used to. It really does get easier EVERY time...
    BUT, that being said, I still get nervous when I hit send.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I'm doing pretty good. I'm just excited to finish this WiP and see what I can do with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm waiting for my agent to tell me what she thinks about my next work... eep! haha

    ReplyDelete