Friday, February 1, 2013

10 Things Every Aspiring Author Should Know

Today I am being interviewed by my good friend Leigh Covington over at her group blog Falling For Fiction. And if there is anything I love more than a B-Word, it's an F-Word! So head on over to FFF and check it one time.

But as for my little Friday "Quickie" post, I am going to jaunt out a quick list of 10 Things Every Aspiring Author Should Know:
  1. Finish your dang book. Simple but true.
  2. Have someone read it who isn't your mom, or a butt-kisser.
  3. Delete crap. Lots of it.
  4. Re-write the sucky parts. 
  5. Brush your cat. And by that I mean, read Blake Snyder's book called SAVE THE CAT, and make sure you have all your important "beats." Just read it.
  6. Have another person read it. Still not your mom. 
  7. Read through it yourself OUT LOUD! Or have your computer read it back to you (this is a fairly revelatory thing for me and I love it).
  8. Research agents. Like stalk them. Go to conferences to pitch to them. Follow their blogs and their twitter tweety things. Read as much as you can about them. 
  9. Have at least 100 people critique your query letter. Just kidding. More like 50. Still sound ridiculous? Just get as many people to read it as possible!
  10. Be brave. You'll probably get rejected. You'll probably get berated for your ridiculous stupidity in front of a group of people at a conference. You'll probably feel like dying of humiliation and despair. Or not. Actually, most likely not. But you will still need a bucket load of courage.
 What would you add to this list?

23 comments:

  1. Keep on writing. Also, go back to number 1 and repeat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have #10 down. Congrats on getting an agent. I haven't been paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! Finish your dang book! Amen, sista!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I love your intro for FFF post. ;) This list rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some well thought out and awesome tips. I was nodding my head the whole time reading this list.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I couldn't have said it better myself. Ha ha. For real though. This is great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Hubby teases me about stalking agents but now I can show him it's entirely approved in this industry.

    Love the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And lots of waiting in between. Lots. and Lots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #10 is so crucial...erm...wanta read the query letter for WIP? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being brave is a prerequisite for the whole thing, I think. Off to check out your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this advice, Jessie! And you could say #1 again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE SAVE THE CAT!!!!

    Chalk that up to ANOTHER thing we have in common. I don't want to alarm you, but its possible you might be my long lost twin. Just sayin'.

    P.s. Your computer can read stuff back to you?! What is this? I must know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh! Having the computer read it out loud is such a good idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. #1 is most important. If you don't finish the book you can't truly get on the road of publishing it. Great list Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list, Jessie! The "not your mom" parts were my favorite. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmmm... I definitely second all of this, Jessie. Totally spot on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey I'm new to this site. I saw the link from Chantele Sedgwick's page. As an aspiring author I can totally relate to pretty much everything except for SAVE THE CAT. I'm going to have to google that one.

    I have another one to add. This was a revelation to me this week. Don't let the cynics squash your creativity. Don't be so afraid of adding something in your book that you know is brilliant, just because you're afraid of that one person that's giving the scathing reviews on goodreads on the book that has 4.6 stars. Those are the people that discourage me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting list, and I agree with all of them! I don't know of 50 people outside of the blogosphere that I could share my writing with, since I still keep my writing a secret for the most part. Inside the blogosphere, on the other hand, it's easier for me to be more open about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Get your manuscript ripped apart by someone that has no problem telling you what sucks. More importantly, they can also tell you how to make it not suck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! B-words, and F-words! Really, there's nothing better, right?

    And I love this post! #1 is just for me!!! ARGH!

    Thanks again for doing the interview and hope your "running" turned out good! :)

    ReplyDelete