Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Quickie

Remember when I said I was introducing a new posting theme to my blog called:

The Quickie

(Shock value intentional)

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING TIP. A writing skill everyone should know. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be singing the Def Leppard song: "Pour some sugar on me!"

Okay, maybe not.

Here's the Quickie for today:

BUY books. 

I'm sure we all do our share of borrowing books from friends, relatives, libraries, etc. It's become a little more difficult in the age of e-books, but I think it still happens quite a lot. And there is 100% nothing wrong with this in my opinion, so no one send me hate comments. I borrow books a ton. In fact, I have at least a half dozen borrowed books on my nightstand. But the point I am trying to make is that it is still important to support the authors we know and love, and BUY their books.

You might say, "That's easy for that B-Word to say! Books are expensive!"

But I'm telling you, there are deals if you look! They go on sale for $2.99 or less all the time, and a ton of best selling e-books are very reasonably priced anyway. You don't always have to buy the hardcover, though some books are definitely worth the investment in my opinion. 

Not only does this act of purchasing books help the publishing world go round, these books you own will be a permanent resource to help you in your own writing. Study and reread the books you love, in whole or in part. Their style and flare just might rub off on you. 
 


So...was the Quickie good for you?

22 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I try to buy as many of my blogging friends books that I can! It's super important to me, that I support them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessie, I'm new to the blog but Jolene Perry said you were awesome and I love/trust her so here I am! (I followed) I JUST had this discussion with someone. I'm a recent college grad with, sadly, unemployment at the moment but I still make time to go to the library and go to book signings or the bookstore. I may not buy the hardcover $17 but I do buy paperbacks or used. (Yes I will buy the hardcover sometimes - don't fret) I really try to support the industry in all ways because it's so important (and besides...reading is fun...owning a copy of a book that you can dogear and highlight etc is even more fun LOL!). Great tip, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Support the industry you're trying to break into...that's been my mantra. Now, where to put all those books? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear hear! I need to go to IKEA today for more shelves. I just have too many books now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so good baby.

    I use the library a lot but I also buy as many books as my budget will allow. Some for me. Some for my children, audio books for hubby. We're a book loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good tip. I do try to buy as many books as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! Buying books insures that we'll continue to have more books to read. Love this quickie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And after you buy them read them because that's where the magic happens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best quickie I've ever had! :)

    ...What? I love books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such good advice. That's one reason I love promoting books and authors so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice. I love buying books and especially getting autographed books from my friends. I borrow a ton too, but I always save some money for the writing conferences I go to so that I can buy MORE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. I books all the time. But my hubby owns shares in the major book chain in Canada, so I'm supporting his company. :D

    I must admit I have been cutting back, but that's mostly because my TBR pile is out of control. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree--it's fun to borrow, but it's important to buy. And I do love seeing a brand new book on my shelf!
    That quickie was totally good for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What? You're telling me to go out and buy some more books? Twist my arm....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a book snob! I always go for the hard cover! I want that pretty baby on my book shelf because one day I'm going to have a library in my house and I want it full of awesomeness! And FYI - the "Quickie" totally hooked me. Hehehe. But I have a dirty mind, and I'm cool with that!

    Love you Jess! Your comment on my blog was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i buy books and put books on my gift lists for others to buy me. but i cant buy every new launch, so i try to wait until i finish something before making a new purchase, and if i see it up for free, i snag it! does anyone know the limit for a kindle? do we have a virtual unlimited library?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I buy as many books as possible! And sometimes more than is technically possible, given my budget...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just blew $100 bucks at my kid's scholastic book fair. Truth: most of the books were for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The past two weekends I bought a dozen books! Money definitely well spent. :)

    ReplyDelete