Monday, March 18, 2013

Evolving Dreams


When I was a little girl I wanted to be on the Disney Channel so bad that I named my cat, "Disney" and practiced memorizing lines from TV shows all day.

(Remember KIDS INCORPORATED? Yes, that little blonde girl is Fergie. I wanted to be her!)

When I was a teenager I wanted to play college tennis so bad that I hung a poster of Andre Agassi on my wall (the one with the mullet and hot pink biker shorts) and practiced playing tennis 4-5 hours a day.
 (Andre is from my hometown, Las Vegas. We even had the same coach. I was totally in love with Mr. Agassi--I'd sit and watch him practice with his shirt off on Saturday mornings. I don't think my parents knew I was doing that ;)

When I was a young adult I wanted to be a stage actress so bad that I moved to London for two summers to watch over fifty plays and then act my way through an undergraduate degree in Theater Arts.

 (This is actress, Cate Blanchett, starring in the play PLENTY,which I saw in London.)

When I was a semi-adult I wanted to be an attorney so bad that I spent all my free time and money to go to law school and study my brains out for three years.
(Okay, so I've never worn a pink suit to Court, but I might be known to enjoy a few pink accessories from time to time.)

When I was full-fledged adult I wanted to be a wife and mother so bad that I married the man of my dreams, Mr. Humphries, and got to doing...yanno, the thing that gets you pregnant! ;).
(I even got my beach wedding!)

Now...I want to be a published author so bad that I read as many books as I can get my hands on and get up at 5:30 a.m. most days just to squeeze in two hours of writing before my brood of children wake up.
(Perhaps my least theatrical goal yet)

Okay, now that I write it all out like that, I see that this list might make me look like a bit of schizophrenic!  That I move from one must-have achievement to the next. That I don't stick to anything for very long.

BUT, I think that's the beauty of life! We are free to have our goals and dreams evolve. Everything that we do builds our character, our experiences, our talents.

Who's to say that my flare for the dramatic didn't help me be a better competitor in tennis? Who's to say that the endurance and focus that I learned in tennis didn't make me a better actress? Who's to say that the confidence I learned from stage acting didn't help me in the courtroom? Who's to say that the persuasive writing I learned in the legal field didn't help me in my creative writing?

And who's to say that the opportunities I will gain from becoming a published author won't bless my life in ways I can't presently see?

No one, that's who!

So, what are some of your evolving dreams?


22 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like you are a woman of dreams and adventures and not afraid to pursue them and at least give them a shot. I find that admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wedding picture is beautiful; I really like your dress and those flowers! And I think that all of your different experiences will give you something to write about, because then you can write about characters who pursue different types of careers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I hope to discover more things to love as my life goes on. It's easy to see how so many things I've done in the past affect how and what I write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like me except I never went out and achieved the things I wanted. LOL. Singer, actress, teacher, mother and writer. Okay, so 2 out of 5 isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you never dream then they never come true.

    Nothing better than marrying the person of your dreams...especially on a beach. I know both from experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you wrote this post. It's wonderful to get to know you better. Although you may not be an actress, or international tennis player, or Elle Woods, you are Jessie, and that means you're wonderful.

    More success is coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got to live your dreams and try things out. Publishing has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl but I've had others. Wife and mother, professional quilting, Living in my parent's basement and reading for the rest of my life. Wait, I usually hide that last one. We have to experience life, and those experiences will influence our future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally wanted to be an actress too, and a singer, but I wasn't blessed with the pipes. I've also found my dream evolving over the years, funny how it all works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I just recently graduated college (/am young, 23!) and people tell me all the time I'm young enough to switch my goals around and do different things until I find what works for me. But you are telling me I can just keep doing it. I love that you are still looking for new dreams and new goals. I've never wanted to be anything other than a writer but I am learning in this economy you can't just necessarily "be a writer" (hmm I guess I need to have a goal of building a time travel machine and go back to the days when this could be possible! :))... However I am grateful I have parents that support me and are willing to let me float a bit to figure it all out. I know others who are not so lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny about the passion to be an attorney. I totally agree with this. I'm passionate about wanting to be a writer too. I guess that's why I get up early everyday and turn on the coffee and computer before I do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "BUT, I think that's the beauty of life! We are free to have our goals and dreams evolve. Everything that we do builds our character, our experiences, our talents."

    I love this and am a first believer in that adage "life happens while we're making other plans". We dreams of things before we're fully aware of what the possibilities are. Of course our dreams evolve. I would hate to think that at 16 I knew everything I would want in my life. My vision then was so limited, and I didn't even know it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey you have big dreams! Nothing wrong with that.

    FYI I wanted to be on Disney Channel too. Soooo bad. I was convinced that I was THE next Lizzie McGuire or That's So Raven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED Kids Incorporated! And The Micky Mouse Club. When I was a teenager I always dreamed of starring in some Broadway show. I love singing, but I don't have THE voice. When I figured out my love for writing, I knew I wanted to do that. And I've stuck with it. It's what I love and I'm so glad I sat down and typed out that first story five years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this post! I can say that I totally get what you're saying with your dreams and aspirations.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andre had some style LOL

    Oooh, you've seen my Elven queen Cate Blanchett in a play live? /getgreenwithenvy/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm laughing and agreeing all at once! You're awesome girl! I really need to convince myself to get up at 530. Mostly I just try to stay up late cause I hate mornings. And that picture of legally blonde, could totally be you! The gorgeous girl in pink kicking some lawyer butt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was a little girl I wanted to be a ballerina. Now like you I want to be a published author. Your evolving dreams were fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, I love this post! I have always loved music and graduated with a minor after switching my major from music to psychology. I love singing/piano/composing and once that was my main focus, but I can see how that involvement helped my creative writing evolve as well. I still yearn for music and enjoy it, but I've had to choose my family and then writing, and then music when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.

    Any tips?

    Here is my web page; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoRWJriSgKc

    ReplyDelete
  20. My developer is trying to convince me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because
    of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on
    a variety of websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there
    a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Here is my web blog :: make money from home online

    ReplyDelete
  21. Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular article!

    It's the little changes which will make the most significant changes. Thanks for sharing!

    my web page ... make money online

    ReplyDelete
  22. whoah this blog is great i love studying your articles. Keep up the great work!
    You recognize, many persons are looking round for this info, you can aid them greatly.


    my blog :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCkK9-pzu_o

    ReplyDelete