Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Quickie: Get Your Manuscript "Shelf Ready"

Good Monday to you all! Good enough for another installment of:

The Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING TIP. A writing skill everyone should know. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be daydreaming about cowboy hats and singing the Tim McGraw & Faith Hill song, "Let's Make Love."

Okay, maybe not. Here's the Quickie for today:

GET YOUR MANUSCRIPT SHELF READY!!!

 So what the crap does that mean? Never fear, I got some bullet points for that:
  • Don't query until your MS is polished. Like completely, totally, and obsessively shiny.
  • Don't submit your MS to agents/editors/publishers until your MS has seen many sets of critique partners' and beta readers' eyes.
  • Don't tell yourself, "It's good enough...if I can just land an agent, she will help me get it where it needs to be to sell."
  • Don't ignore your intuition (your internal editor) when it's telling you that your MS needs more work.
  • Do be brutal with yourself. Listen to hard advice, cry over challenging notes from CP's, sweat the hard scenes out, let yourself stay up late at nights once in a while while you work out the kinks.
  • Do be patient. We've all heard the stories of writers snatching up agents and book deals after minimal work. Don't rely on that applying to you.
Now having said that, even after all the hard work you can do on your own and with writing partners, the pros will probably still have a ton of work for you to do to get it "shelf ready" all the way. I revised for over six months before I landed my agent. And then she had me revise with her for nearly four months before we went out on submission. But here's the best part of the story--when I had my first teleconference with my editors they were very complimentary about how polished my MS was. It was "shelf ready" by the time they saw it and that's what made it a quick sell for them.

On another note, who's going to spoon with me at the Storymakers conference this week? I am so excited to see so many of you, I can't stand it!



29 comments:

  1. Great advice! Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know about spooning (not sure what the Mrs. would think of that), but I'm totally excited to see you at the Storymakers again! And agree with your post, on all points! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT advice! Wish I were going to be at Storymakers. One of these years, for sure. :)

    And P.S. Throwing some congratulations your way on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the polish and patience are key pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patience is a virtue. Thanks for a great quickie. Wait....just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great writing tips. I'll be there baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very good advice. I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I'd listened to my inner gut about my ms needing more work before handing in my R&R. I query way too early. I gave in my R&R after working on it for a YEAR (so I thought it was ready, and I could *not* look at it anymore)...now (4 months after handing it in), I am realizing it is NOT. And I handed it in...so what's done is done. I'm definitely going to listen to my gut from now on, if it means delaying things for a little bit longer... :-) Have a blast at the conference, Jessie and I can't wait to read Ruby's story in just a few months!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! I'm so impatient. I want to send my MS in NOW! I'll sit by you in classes and at meals but I will not spoon you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll spoon with you anytime ;) This is one of the hardest things to do as a writer, but it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice. I'm doing another revision before I query. And trying to be patient as I see everyone else going faster than me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great suggestions. It's hard to be patient but so worth it. Have fun at Storymakers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good tips my darling Jessie! You ROCK woman! And I will most definitely be at Storymakers! I can't wait! See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips, Jessie!

    I call first dibs on the spooning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great nugget of knowledge. And have fun at Storymakers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. well holy cow, check out the beautiful scene on your blog! keeps getting prettier! i love your advice. especially to go with your intuition!! yes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blog looks all kinds of sexy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is actually it Possible in watch Fox, NBC, CBS TV live online?



    My web page: tanie noclegi zakopane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funny t-shirts are flooding marketplace and every body else
    sports a prudent crack these evenings. This is a wonderful location for a t-shirt with regard to at.


    Visit my web site :: rolety katowice

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mauritius has a well-developed system and tourism industry.
    Many British tourists, for example, are selecting camping in Spain holidays in North Spain.


    Also visit my site: grzejniki dekoracyjne

    ReplyDelete
  22. This kind out of pan has lots uses for all of the
    kinds of festivity and party culinary arts. It again is the splendid place to meet new friends.



    my weblog ... badania termowizyjne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Paint an outline due to orange marking pulverisateur paint.
    The pumping from sludge should finished once a year
    or once two years.

    My weblog :: punktgie.pl :: :
    :

    ReplyDelete
  24. To automate this ardent but most critical job, Field Service plan
    Management Software was developed.

    Look at my web blog gsa search engine ranker

    ReplyDelete
  25. Help you in making also provide you an electronic copy should
    you wish. Prepare a resources assessment and formal request pertaining to personnel and
    wherewithal.

    Also visit my web site ... morgren.com.pl

    ReplyDelete
  26. Owners will feel virtually any little bit related to a sting.
    Regardless plan N genuinely does not cover generally Medicare plan W deductible.



    Have a look at my site pvldirect ()

    ReplyDelete
  27. Person planning can taken into consideration very detailed-orientated challenge.
    A biobank shouldn't be at the mercy among the software.it's
    using.

    My blog post :: pozycjonowanie

    ReplyDelete