Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday Quickie: Track Your Stats

Good Monday to you all! And even if it's not good...it's "good enough" for another installment of:

The Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING TIP. A writing skill everyone should know. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be humming the Usher song, "Love In This Club."

Or not. Here's the Quickie for today:

TRACK YOUR STATS!!!

There are several websites that allow you to do this for free. The one that I use is http://statcounter.com/. They provide easy to follow instructions and over a dozen different ways to analyze the effectiveness of your blog/website.

But listen up extra close if you are querying or going on submission. Don't you want to know if the agent of your dreams is checking you out? Wouldn't you like to be informed as to whether an editor at Random House or Amazon Publishing is perusing your site? Couldn't it be extremely helpful to know which pages and posts they are spending time on? The answers to these critical questions and more are a resounding YES!

After I saw that an editor from Scholastic had spent a significant amount of time on my severely lame "ABOUT ME" page, I decided to spend some time improving that MONUMENTAL oversight.

So go get a stat tracker and start stalking the people who are stalking you! Peace!

13 comments:

  1. LOL so basically you want us to go crazy even more?? ;-) and freak out when a publishing person checks out our blogs?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Statcounter is awesome! It gives all the information you could want and then some. That's crazy about the Scholastic editor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice! I'm off to update my lame-o about me page too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've started one, but where do you see who's visiting your blog? How did you know someone from Scholastic was looking at your About Me page? I can't tell. Confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. *Whimpers* But I need to actually make an about me page. Even if I'm focusing on self-publishing right now, it can't hurt to be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of statcounter but not used it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid to know. But I'll do it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *goes to rewrite awkward "about me" page*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it would scare me to know which editors were actually stalking me ... but I might have to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your about me is super cute! I can see why...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to check this out. I'm so bad with graphs and analyzing stats, I've just always assumed I wouldn't know what any of it meant, anyway. I need a program like "The Idiot's Guide to----," or " Blog Stats for Dummies."

    BTW, I love your "About Me" page. I also wanted to let you know that you won one of the runner up prizes in my give a way. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete