Monday, July 15, 2013

One of the Best Weeks of My Life

When I was thirteen years old, my mom had her fourth baby. The caboose. The golden child. Jeff.

Both me and my little sister (who was 11 at the time) considered him our own. We fought over whose bed he would sleep in, argued over who would change his diapers, debated on who could make him laugh most when he fussed. My mom had to put her foot down quite often to remind both of us she was the actual mother.

As the years went by, all three of us (my mom, sister and I) still vied for his attentions. The lucky kid was swarmed with attention and love that has probably scarred him to this day.


Even after my sister and I began having children of our own, we still very much considered Jeff like the sibling to our kids.
 


Well, two years ago (when he was eighteen years old) we sent him on a two year voluntary mission for our church. He has been serving in the Lansing, Michigan area. It's been a strange two years without my little bro in my life. Sure we wrote to each other every week, and spoke twice a year on the phone, but it's been very different without his spunk, his humor, his joie de vivre. But he's been really good at sending us pictures of the beautiful Michigan scenery and people:


This Wednesday he's coming home. Which makes it one of the best weeks of my life! I am so excited.

Anything awesome going on for you this hot summer week?

15 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, Jessie! Wishing him safe travels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that good looks runs in the family.

    Love the one with him teaching one of the kiddos how to hit off the T. That's awesome.

    Hope you hall have a wonderful reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, that's awesome! Yay for siblings. They're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how time simply flies - and in this case, it's a good thing, right:)

    Wishing aloha on you all in what is surely going to be a wonderful homecoming :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! That is exciting news! Definitely reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! What a blessing to have such a close family. Nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool. The youngest in my family is THE BABY. As in, sucks all the oxygen out of the room yelling "LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT ME!" Haha. No really, she's great.
    It's wonderful that your brother is coming home. I'm sure he's excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet! I am the youngest of five. My oldest sister is fourteen years older, another ten years older than me, so I was lucky enough to have lots of "moms"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. my gosh what a good looking family!! awesome missionary moment coming home!! can't wait to see my oldest boy do something so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff and I have a lot in common. I know what being The caboose feels like. Glad that he's coming home. Throw him a huge party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that he's returning, you definitely have reason to be ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love ALL of these pictures!! I'm excited for you guys to have Jeff home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We were also thrilled when my brother came home. Same idea (I'm 12 1/2 years older than him). Have a great reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So awesome, Jessie! I'm so happy for you that he's home!

    ReplyDelete