Monday, July 22, 2013

The Summer Slump

You feelin' it too? The heat, the lull, the distractions, etc.?

With the kids out of school, vacations every other week (to escape the Vegas heat), and all the fun things in which a good summer requires (bbqs, pool parties, bowling, movie matinees, cousin sleep overs)...writing seems to be at the bottom of my totem pole these days. :(

The thing is, I'm pretty sure that I am not alone in my Summer Slump Situation. I know many agents, editors, and publishers who are all feeling the summer vibe. Not to mention all my writerly peeps who are vacationing everywhere from Comic Con in San Diego to breathtaking locales in New Zealand.

It's okay. Consider this post like a visit to your local addiction anonymous group! We'll call it the Summer Slumpers (instead of AA it's SS ;). Here we will feel free to confess our ineffectiveness, our laziness, our unproductivity! But like AA, we must commit to doing better. Even if it's only a small amount of progress, it is progress nonetheless.

So here is my confession: I have been watching far too much MAD MEN on Netflix. My addiction to the smoky ad rooms and whiskey laden ad men during the 1960's has been very unproductive. The secret past of the ultra-sexy MC Don Draper has taken over my attention and creative focus.

But alas, now that I've finished all five seasons, I'm ready to get back to work. Never mind that I just found out I can watch three seasons of GAME OF THRONES on HBO GO. I vow to do better. I WILL get back to work tomorrow.

Have any confessions? You wanna join my SS group? Or are you rockin' your writing this summer?

20 comments:

  1. The West Wing. Love it. I loved it when it first came out, and can't seem to stop watching. However, school starts for me in three weeks and I have to have lessons prepped and a classroom put together - I HAVE to have an outline for new project before then or my writing will really tank. Productivity, here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered Mad Men via Netflix and, I think, I watched four seasons in a week's time. It's a great show and Draper is a truly despicable character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I homeschool, summer is my go time for writing. Getting a lot done and am trying to do more before the school year starts up again when I'll be sucked back into teacher mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in total summer slumps, and with the school year looming closer and closer, I'm feeling the laziness tug even worse. Next month I'll do better...I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been up and down. Tired of waiting, but busy with the kids. I'm going to back away from writing to enjoy my kids being home. Soon they'll be gone and I'll be kicking myself for missing this time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I love the women's clothes on Mad Men, I've never really been able to get the show itself. But then again the only shows I watch regularly are crime dramas. I wish I was writing more this summer, but everything else that summer has to offer has been too enticing to keep me at my desk. I know I should be writing more, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just embrace the suck and enjoy yourself until the slump ends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally slacking this summer! I was supposed to finish my current WIP last month. Better get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Mad Men, but I have most of the current (just finished) season on my DVR. I found it so depressing, I wasn't sure I could manage Don this time around. I want to strangle him and toss him off that posh apartment balcony (then take Meghan shopping). Anyhoo, I will get around to it after the hubz and I finish our X-Files rewatch on Netflix. The ninth season is so not good and this is coming from a former X-phile; I never finished it then, not sure how I will do it now. It's not the same show, the last season is a spin-off with different characters and needs to be called something else.

    Anyway, July is my busy summer month. Just got back from RWA Nationals and on to a smaller conference later this week. Then back to writing and TV bingeing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can so relate. I'm suffering from I'm too busy to write and I wish I could be lazy. Sigh. It will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where I live, it is always summer. Singapore, if you're wondering.

    So I have no excuse to slack off. I've been trying to get on to the second draft of my WIP, and I think I managed to get it off to a start today :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been writing pretty steady trying to meet a dealine. After that I'll totally join SS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so joining this group. I've hardly written anything this summer. :/ I've been really digging the original Star Trek series on Netflix... #nerdalert

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summer slump stinks! I'm querying now and it's hit or miss with the agents. LOL maybe I should've waited til fall! I am really addicted to American Horror Story and Damages on Netflix. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We finished Mad Men on Netflix a couple months ago. We just finished the first season of The Tudors and I'm desperate for something else. I was super productive until I finished my rough draft and now I'm waiting for feedback and being lazy. Time to push on! I've got another novel waiting for me. I just have to find my motivation :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to join! I have been so very burnt out. I'm hoping that a writing retreat kicks me out of the SS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not actually in a writers slump but I'll totally join. Or maybe I already did a long time ago with my Netflix obsessions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was in a slump until Steph and I had to get working on finishing our collab.
    I like to sort of take the summers off writing. next year I'm really hoping to take time off of writing. Too much fun stuff to do w/ my kids and my fam and to my house...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Confession: may latest guilty pleasure has been Project Runway. I have no idea why that show is so fascinating to me. But yeah...summer slump...

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, with Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The heat, with no AC, even more so. It's so hard to focus when it's so nice out. Maybe this is why I do the bulk of my writing in winter. :)

    ReplyDelete