Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Quickie: Taking Risks

Good Monday to you all! It's time for another installment of:

The Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING TIP. A writing skill everyone should know. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be humming the lyrics, "I know you want it..." from Robin Thicke's song, "Blurred Lines."


Or not. Here's the Quickie for today:
 
Don't fail by default!

Well, maybe the original quote by my girl, J.K. Rowling, says it better:

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default."

So here's to taking risks. Putting yourself out there, your words, your heart, your stories. Not just today, but this week, this month, this year, this life. It takes courage to dream big, especially when so much failure and rejection loom over us, but we must continue to dream. Not in the nightmares or the luke-warm visions of meager success, but in the incautious dreams where we can fly and run through the halls of our high schools, fully-clothed, completed homework in hand, being admired and praised by our peers! 

How are you going to take a risk today, this week, this year?

11 comments:

  1. This post comes at a good time for me, because I've been working on my dissertation and I can't help feeling convinced that I'm going to fail at it. There's so much riding on it that I'm afraid of what's going to happen if I fail. But it is worth it to take a risk anyway, because I also think of what's going to happen if I succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard that quote before, thanks. I'm taking a risk by spending a lot of money on an advance writers course this fall. I'm hoping that by spending the money and ignoring my family (not really but I do worry about the time commitment) I'll be able to push my writing to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall take a risk by re-releasing my book today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dedicate this post to Erin. *cough* query *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm releasing my first novella in a series this December. It's a thrill and a risk. So excited yet nervous but fear won't win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! I love this post and it's such an important reminder for myself as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hear, hear!

    I'm going to take a risk this week by not sleeping. Yes, it could possibly make me insane, OR I could discover that not needing sleep is actually my superpower. I'll never know if I don't take the risk, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the encouragement, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it that I see the word "quickie" and my mind gets dirty? hehehe. Love this post tho. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm right their with leigh! plus the song is summer coolness. what a risk they took doing such a weird video, but hey you ain't livin' if you ain't riskin'!!

    ReplyDelete