- ignorance of who and how to support
- jealousy of authors who we've judged unworthy of success
- spite because of personal or business reasons
- apathy due to laziness or distraction
- busy schedules that block our attentions
- being tapped out financially, emotionally, or creatively
- demanding family issues
So, how do I do that? Here are some ideas:
- Get on Goodreads and add our favorite author/friends' books. Add them to our TBR lists. Rate them. Review them. Become a "fan."
- Get on Amazon and do the same.
- Pre-order. I recently read on a Facebook article that this is one of the best ways that we can ensure the success of a book because print runs are based on pre-orders and the more books that physically exist provide a way for those books to actually sell one day! Makes sense, right?
- Blog, tweet, FB and provide other social media exposure for the books. "Follow" them and "subscribe" to them wherever and whenever possible.
- Participate in blog tours, contests and launch parties.
- Physically go to a book store every once in a while and buy a book for full price. I like to do this one only for my very faves because it gets expensive fast.
So what are some other ways to support fellow authors?