Monday, August 26, 2013

Supporting Fellow Authors

Let's be honest. Let's get down to the nitty gritty. Supporting our fellow authors doesn't come naturally or consistently to everyone. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of love to go around, but there's the dark side as well. Some legit (and non-legit) reasons for this unfortunate tendency might be:
  • ignorance of who and how to support
  • jealousy of authors who we've judged unworthy of success
  • spite because of personal or business reasons
  • apathy due to laziness or distraction
  • busy schedules that block our attentions
  • being tapped out financially, emotionally, or creatively
  • demanding family issues
  • etc.
I think we can all name some names of others who are warped or hindered by these issues, and I ain't gonna lie and say that I haven't been influenced by some of these justifications either, but I am whole-heartedly determined to do better. I'm in this biz now, and I had better start embracing it and getting myself involved in this chosen career. How can I expect others to support me if I don't first support them?

So, how do I do that? Here are some ideas:
  • Get on Goodreads and add our favorite author/friends' books. Add them to our TBR lists. Rate them. Review them. Become a "fan."
  • Get on Amazon and do the same.
  • Pre-order. I recently read on a Facebook article that this is one of the best ways that we can ensure the success of a book because print runs are based on pre-orders and the more books that physically exist provide a way for those books to actually sell one day! Makes sense, right?
  • Blog, tweet, FB and provide other social media exposure for the books. "Follow" them and "subscribe" to them wherever and whenever possible.
  • Participate in blog tours, contests and launch parties.
  • Physically go to a book store every once in a while and buy a book for full price. I like to do this one only for my very faves because it gets expensive fast.
In honor of this very effort that I am trying to make, I encourage all of you to visit my friend Renee Collin's blog and participate in her pre-order contest for her hugely anticipated book, RELIC. Everyone is a winner as she has door prizes for all entries.


So what are some other ways to support fellow authors?

17 comments:

  1. Yes, it's so true we need to support authors. It's my passion. I do like your idea of posting more on places like Facebook about the books we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that we need to do more. I try my best but it never seems enough and forget about financial...I can barely keep up on books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever had people upset because you seem to be supporting someone more than them, or why haven't you read my book yet? Just curious how you deal with that because...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, and yes, I have had this happen. Things can get weird within the writing community. It's kind of like high school, or even worse, junior high sometimes. I basically just kick them in the crotch and say, "grow up!" Not really, haha. Maybe I just have awkward silences with them when I see them in the halls at conferences and such ;)

      Delete
  4. I know I need to be better at this. I don't talk a lot about books I've read, not because I don't want to support them but because I feel awkward about pushing books I read on others. (bad experiences in the past) And for several other reasons that you listed above. But the good books really are worth supporting. I do have an extensive list on goodreads, though. I like to think I'm helping that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on needing to try harder. There are lots of reasons I've been slack lately, most of which you've listed, but I have to just man up and support the community. Thanks for the tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I love Renee! And her book is FABULOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to know what to do and how to help and the longer I'm in the writer-blogger world, the more people I know. I'd have books on my blog every week if I supported everyone the way I'd like to... It's HARD. But I LOVE your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good post. It's hard to know what to do and easy to get distracted. I do my best to leave Amazon reviews (under a pseudonym) on the day that my friend's books release, at minimum. And I add them to my to-read list as often as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all great tips. I keep meaning to join Goodreads; I'm sure it would give me a good chance to discover new books. I do buy books at bookstores once in a while, though it's tempting to just order used copies on Amazon or download e-copies for my Nook. But I love browsing in bookstores anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Jessie. It's a really important reminder. :)

    And thank you so much for the shout out! You are too sweet! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heading over to Renee's and I love the tips Jess. We all have to work together, because we reap what we sow, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent ideas. I agree with you 100% and hope to one day grow up and be like Alex...he is pretty much the role model for what to do, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll go to a store and buy a book to show my support any day. My husband may not be too happy with me, but hey, it's all in the name of love! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great ways to support each other! I think pre-ordering and reviewing books are particularly helpful. And buying the book in general, of course!

    ReplyDelete