Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Thing About Birthdays...

They add up. One minute you're celebrating your Sweet Sixteenth and the next you can barely remember that far back. And though many birthdays were just flat-out forgettable, some were pretty awesome:

Like my 8th birthday when I had a party at my house, and we played Bingo with M&M's, and someone gave me some "Electric Youth" perfume by Debbie Gibson. So rad!

And then there was my 20th birthday where me, my sister and my best friend went to Rosarito, Mexico for some lobster, cheap shopping, and maybe a little dancing. (I lived in San Diego at the time, so it wasn't a big deal). Three single young girls, what could go wrong? We got pulled over by some Federales, forced to exit our vehicle, and directed to stand still on the side of the abandoned highway while the men with machine guns searched our car. Not so rad!


And how could I forget my 27th birthday when I was informed to start prepping for my emergency C-Section the following day? Awwwww...some!

***I'm going to do everyone a solid and not show any pictures of this event. You're welcome.***

And of course there's this years birthday (no, I'm not telling you how old I am!) where me, my sister and other best friend went out to dinner and a show--Michael Jackon's One by Cirque du Soleil. I bought myself some shiny pleather stretchy pants and a Michael Jackson-esque jacket and made some memories. Yes, some of them might have been embarrassing ones. And no, I was not drinking.


So whether your birthdays are 80's rad, life-threateningly scary, or borderline inappropriate, they happen. Every. Single. Year.

What's your most memorable B-day?

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Pleather and Michael Jackson's One sound like a perfect combination for any age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, love this! Especially your eight-year-old birthday, with the Debbie Gibson perfume. Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have yourself an awesome birthday, Jessie! And many more to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy B'day and glad that you're living it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been A LONG time since I had any of those kind of birthdays or were those ages. Now I have to remind my family it's my b-day. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best. Birthday. Ever. You tell Dave Coon I owe him for life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! Love this! I'm glad you got to have a memorable one (in a good way) this year. Happy birthday, girl!! I hope you have many more memorable ones to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved hearing about your memorable birthdays. Holy cow for Mexico!

    My most memorable one was when I turned 19. I really felt like I was turning OLD (haha on me). It was freezing cold, but my roommate and I went to wade in a decorative pool on campus. We climbed on top of a rock and sounded some barbaric YAWPs (Dead Poet's Society anyone?). It took a long time of soaking my feet in warm water to regain feeling in them, but it was a blast! I need to do something crazy like that again. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday!

    I played bingo with M&Ms on my eight birthday too. Unfortunately, birthdays anymore are just another day as the kids still need clean clothes, food and supervision. I usually get a doughnut though, so that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy, happy birthday! Love the pic. I can't believe I missed your birthday wishes. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday! Looks like you guys had a great time :) My 21st birthday was pretty special. I had just started dating my future husband and he not only gave me a totally over-the-top bday present (a Burberry wallet), but we had an amazing fancy dinner in SF with my triplet siblings and their significant others, my parents, and my best friend, AND a party in Davis complete with margaritas and salsa dancing. The one good thing about a Feb 29th bday on a non-Leap Year is you can totally spread it out over multiple days.

    ReplyDelete