Monday, September 9, 2013

Writing and the Iron Man

Not this one:


I'm talking about this one:

Right now I'm sitting in a Starbucks along the race route for the 2013 Iron Man 70.3, and dang it's inspiring!

These athletes are flat-out, crazy-pants, freaks of nature! (In the best possible way) They have 0% body fat, 0% give in, and nothing but determination in their eyes. I am in total awe. How hard have they worked to get to this race? How many hours of praiseless training have they invested? How much pain, suffering, and self-doubt have they suffered? How many slices of cheesecake or scoops of ice cream have they sacrificed in order to properly fuel their bodies?

Probably a lot.

I want to have that kind of determination in my life. NOT IN RUNNING, BIKING, and SWIMMING, of course! Maybe just in the things that matter to me. Like writing for example. Maybe I can work a little harder, train a little better, put more of myself into it, make it a top priority in my life. That way, when I run through metaphorical finish line (because let's be honest, there's no cheering section waiting for when a writer finishes a book) people will want to reach out and give me a high five!

What could you be doing to train better at what you want to accomplish?

15 comments:

  1. Oh damn, you're so right. I need to put more training time in. Thanks for the perspective! Was just the butt kicking I needed. I need to sit down every day and write. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is an ultra athlete. It's a very different kind of discipline, but not necessarily harder, because it's what he loves. This year he trained his butt off for a 100 mile race only to injure himself at mile 20. He ran another 60-odd miles before calling it. Like writing, sometimes you can do everything right and it just doesn't work out. That's the tragedy - and the beauty too I guess - of pursuing a passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a good point! I'm in awe of these ultra athletes, and I'd love to show that kind of determination in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire those marathon athletes too; I can't even run a mile, let alone twenty miles or more. I need to spend less time watching TV crime dramas and Youtube videos that people make of their adorable dogs and more time writing; otherwise I won't get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. I have so much more respect for athlete's discipline and work after watching my daughter with her swimming. And she's at a much lower level of working out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Discipline is what gets us to the finish line :) I think holding steady to my goal of 2000 words a day keeps me mentally in shape, even though it also makes me squirm a lot. If I can keep at it I usually have a rough draft before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that way every time I watch the Olympics. Those people are amazing for the things they do to go after their dreams. It does inspire me to work harder. Though my writing schedule is generally determined by my families needs so I'm not always in control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so crazy. I know a few, and they LIVE it. It's inspiring.

    I was watching the US Open (Tennis) the other day, and I was dumbfounded when the wheelchair players came out. Yeah, they got two bounces, but WHOA! They were flying all over the court, smacking the heck outta the ball.

    Shows how determination and will can help you defy the odds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so crazy. I know a few, and they LIVE it. It's inspiring.

    I was watching the US Open (Tennis) the other day, and I was dumbfounded when the wheelchair players came out. Yeah, they got two bounces, but WHOA! They were flying all over the court, smacking the heck outta the ball.

    Shows how determination and will can help you defy the odds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look at those people and marvel at how kick-ass the human body can be. And the human spirit! I try to channel that when my down-dog is a little saggy. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be less tempted to take 'breaks'. This post was inspiring, thanks for sharing Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. People who work that hard are so inspiring! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dang, Jessie! I thought this post would be about the Robert Downey, Jr Iron Man. *leaves Jessie's misleading blog post*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I'm back and I forgive you. ;-) Great thoughts here. Hard core athletes intimidate me. Their sport is their LIFE. And I'm so OCD that whatever I work on easily takes over and becomes my life. So I fall more into the camp of having to make myself pull back from work so I can have more balance with my family, etc. It's hard to do that when I get so consumed with a project!

    ReplyDelete