Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday Quickie: Three Things That Make Me A Better Writer

Good Monday to you all! It's time for another installment of:

The Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING TIP. A writing skill everyone should know. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be humming the lyrics to "Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk" by Trace Adkins:

If that's your thing :/

Without further ado, here are my:
Three Small Things That Make Me A Better Writer

  1. Meet with writer friends regularly. You don't have to be part of an official writer's group (though that's awesome too)--I'm not. You don't have to choose an official day (though it helps)--I don't. You don't have to choose the popular writers (though it might be nice to have the connections to successful authors)--I only sometimes schlepp along. It's just important to have positive friendships with those who understand you, are willing to help you, and happy to share the creative vibe.
  2. Get Outside. Sometimes as writers, we tend to be sedentary. After all, its kind of hard to play tennis and type at the same time. But it's important to take breaks, breathe fresh air, get some vitamin D (from the sunshine, not from a pill), and get some endorphins flowin'! 
  3. Indulge A Little. Right now my favorite thing to do while writing is enjoying a hot beverage. It might the crisp fall air, but anything that comes in a beautiful and steaming hot mug sounds good to me. Whether it be peppermint tea, hot apple cider, creamy cocoa, pumpkin spice frap-a-lappas (or whatever they're called)...I'll take it. And it keeps me happy while I sedentarally sit on my A for a few hours.

While I admit that none of this information is groundbreaking, it might be a nice reminder. I know it is for me. 

What small things make you a better writer?

19 comments:

  1. Lovely tips! I'm especially fond of the first and second. I would love to meet up with other writers, spend more time outdoors, and try out some fall beverages. Maybe even at the same time. Pumpkin spice sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this list, and looks like great guidelines come nano time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, this is a great list. It's good to remember the basics-have writers who understand you, take breaks and get some of that sun, and little things, like a mug of warm goodness. Once it "real" winter hear I'll be writing with a mug of yummy hot cocoa.

    The best thing I've done for myself is set tiny, achievable goals, so I can feel successful-opened my document each day-yay, I'm amazing worked great for me during a difficult cross-country move and the transition afterwards.

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. And so important to remember all of them, including to get up and move sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the little things that can make life grand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naps. If I'm not rested, I can't write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your list is the best How To Be A Better Writer list I've ever seen. I love your guts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are TOTALLY my top three. My writing day is like - write, go outside and run, write, lunch, write, hot chocolate...
    I don't get to meet w/ people face to face much, but I MAKE sure I get at least one phone call a week w/ one of my supah writerly peeps ;-) LOVE this list. I might beg you to let me do "quickie mondays" too. LOVE this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Number one is such a huge thing. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how much I love talking with my writer friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! On my list is to always make time to read a good book just for fun, pure enjoyment. For me, as a writer, it's a crime if I'm not reading great words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm big on #2. I have to get outside and walk around. I think it gets the blood flow going and gives my brain that nice mental break. Plus, if I see any weeds in my landscaping, I can go ahead and yank it. Double-duty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! Writing friends inspire me and getting outside wakes up my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice post, Thanks for your very useful Information, I will bookmark for next reference

    ReplyDelete