Monday, November 25, 2013

NaNoWriMo Check-In and Countdown

It's National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and this is the first year that I've taken the challenge to write an entire book (50,000 words) in one month. I've always been in the middle of revising during the month of November, but this year I've been rockin' the NaNo! Man, it's been fun keeping up with all my writing peeps as to how they've been doing with this challenge. It's no joke, and not for the weak of heart, so I respect each and every one of you for doing it.

Here's how I'm doing on my NaNo project:
  • As of today, I have written 57,000 words on my new contemporary Young Adult novel entitled LEAVING KALLIE. *Disclaimer: I wrote 24,000 of these words in April, so I can't count them as part of NaNo, but that puts me at a clean 33,000 with six days to go. Yikes, why do they choose to do NaNo during November?!
  • This story has been super fun to write because it's set in France (where I lived for 18 months) and when I draft a scene about a small village street with cobblestone roads and scents of patisseries floating in the air, it's almost as good as buying a ticket and going there again for real.
  • Here's my pitch for the project: When 16 year old California-girl, Kallie Kalua is forced to move to France because her mother is engaged to one of the wealthiest vineyard owners in Europe, she is also forced to experience life in all together foreign way. A summer full of exploring castles, eating French pastries, and being courted by two French boys to die for, soon turns into a nightmare of lies, deceit and a murder mystery definitley-not-to-die-for. It's ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS meets DOWNTON ABBEY, if you like that kind of thing.
  • Two weekends ago I went to a writer's retreat in Park City where I knocked out 16,000 words in 2.5 days, and today I hosted a local "Writing Day" at my house where I blasted out 6,000 in one day. These kinds of meetups really help my productivity and I wish I could do it more often.
So what's up with all y'all? Doing NaNo? Revising instead? Do you secretly hate NaNo and it's stupid name?

10 comments:

  1. I love this premise...sounds awesome. Way to go on your nano goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahmygoodness! Give me this book so I can read it and have the wonderful thing that is French carbs without the disgustingness that is the Paris metro (because where else would the average American tourist go?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great story! Congrats on the words. I'm not doing NaNo this year, I'm working on revisions and a writing class, and I've been sick for most of the month. NaNo would have been a big fail if I'd tried, but I'm super excited about what I have accomplished. Hope you're enjoying yours as much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome. Good for you. I haven't written a word this month. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! Yay for nostalgia-inducing stories that sound incredible! Congrats on the word count! I need a few good days of knocking out 6k in a single day. (like five or so.... ;)) Unfortunately, my book and I decided that we hate one another, and aren't on speaking terms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo! Mine is at 77K (but like you, I started NaNo at 65K ... this is just an excuse to finish the darn thing). Sounds like an awesome story. I don't think any of your stories are un-awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! You rocked your word count!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love France! I had three French pen-pals growing up, who all got to stay with me in Utah during different summers. I got to visit one of them when I was 19 in France for about a month. And ANNA meets DOWNTOWN?! Ooh, baby, I am all over this book you're writing! Congrats on tackling NaNo. Go, go, go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of your new contemp romance. Let me know if you need a beta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So did ya do it?? Did ya do it?? :)

    It sounds like a fantastic story!

    ReplyDelete