Monday, January 27, 2014

Killer Monday: Catching The Killers--Vegas Style

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Monday, January 27, 2014
  • __***__ lbs. over/under Goal Weight (not worried, 13.1 miles should help, right?)
  • 1,900      Calories Consumed Yesterday (I had to run 10 miles on Saturday, so I needed every one of those calories)
  • __4__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (I "needed" those too)
  • __11 hrs  Spent Writing (no, you didn't read that wrong. I seriously spent ELEVEN hours revising because of a deadline. It's okay, 11 is my lucky number.)
  • _0_Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (take-out is my friend ;)

So...Catching The Killers...Vegas-Style (not Gangnam Style), what does that mean?

Well, the thing about Vegas is that it's actually a pretty small town sometimes. Sure the population is a booming 2 million, but in some ways it still feels like a close-knit community.

I'm a rare breed of Vegan, not because I eat meat and believe in dairy, but because I was born and raised here. I went to high school at Chaparral not far from the lights of the Vegas strip, I grew up playing tennis at the old Desert Inn Hotel & Resort, I had an annual pass at the original Wet-N-Wild water park off Las Vegas Boulevard, I made out with boys in the back of the Crystal Palace roller skating rink off of Boulder Highway (which is a rite of passage for those on the East side), and I've chosen to stay in Vegas to raise my family (far away from the Crystal Palace where my children shall never, ever enter).

Because of this thirty-odd-some years walking the Vegas streets (not like a hooker thank you very much), I know some people: judges, politicians, business owners, newscasters, celebrity singers, pro athletes, and I'm even lucky enough to know Maslow Mike (a sweet guy almost everyone knows because he roams the streets and parks--Maslow Park is the original park where he got his name--just being nice to people).

So when I got the crazy-stupid idea to woo the band The Killers into playing at my book launch in May, I just put it out there for all my Vegas friends and family to comment on/laugh at/whatever. The feedback was overwhelming! I received so many messages, texts, emails, calls, etc. All from people saying that they wanted to help, explaining their connections to members of the band and their representatives. I was floored how generous and positive people's reactions were. After all, we are all one big Vegas family. More than just a community.

And while I understand a long list of very short degrees of separation between me and The Killers isn't going to magically make the gig happen for me, it sure as H doesn't hurt. So while everyone is running around spreading their support and ideas on how to help me Catch The Killers, rest assured that I am working very hard on making it happen from a professional, logistical, and financially feasible perspective. And all the Vegas-love might end up being the thing that helps the most.

Which is why I want to point out something about Las Vegas that inspires me the heck out of me right now:

Which is an effort to transform the old Downtown area into the most community-focused large city in the world. 

With a focus on the arts, technology, and education, over $300 million dollars has been set aside to invest in the future of this area of our city. So many amazing things are happening in what was once a decayed and dangerous area of town. It still has a long way to go, but I want to be a part of  the revitalization. I see the passion to create something worthwhile, something to be proud of. I mean, that's why I started writing in the first place!

That's why I am pushing for a book launch party at one of the new venues created Downtown. I'm hoping that with the help of the Downtown Project and some amazing people throughout Vegas, my dream of Catching The Killers might come true.

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

10 comments:

  1. I keep praying that when I get my release date it's not the same as yours, and by some miracle I can come down to Vegas for your launch. Then you can introduce me to Brandon and he will sing me a song and all will be right in the world. It could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eleven hours writing! You are an inspiration. Almost thou persuadest me to love Vegas. I'm getting there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved every single bit of this. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart you!! And we are coming to your launch, Killers or not. Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maslow Mike!! Haven't seen him in years! What a great memory. Good luck with The Killers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Before I read the rest of your post I have to tell you what Gangam style means (becasue I'm obsessed with Korea.) So Gangam (pronounced Kangkam) is the wealthiest part of Seoul. (Kinda like 5th ave in NYC) There's a certain culture in Korea which dictates that if you don't marry a wealthy man, you're worthless. They've taken Pride and Prejudice to the extreme to say the least. So there are all these girls living in 10X10 apartments in Gangam, only eating Ramen when they're at home, not even turning on the lights etc. so when they go out they can appear to be wealthy in hopes of snatching up a rich man. Anyway, that's what Gangam style is making fun of. The over abundance of fakeness happening Gangam. Bet you really wanted to know that, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I've read the rest of your post, that is so cool! Community coming together and everything you're doing to add to that awesomeness. I seriously <3 you!! Amazingness :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really is cool. I soooo wish I could come to your book launch. Sounds like it's going to be so much fun. You MUST take lots of pics for us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful to be a part of a community that is like family. I've moved from the area I grew up in, and while it will always be a special place for me, when I visit I am astounded at the things that have changed, and just as astounded at the things that haven't.

    ReplyDelete